What's new
What's new

New to me Kearney & Trecker 2D (Nov. 1945)

otaviogmcoelho

Plastic
Hey folks, new guy here. I found and bought a Milwaukee model D. This is my first non-woodworking machine. I was looking for a regular milling machine for a while, but they are quite expensive here (São Paulo - Brazil). But then I found this beauty sort of hidden, at a much lower price than other machines. It belonged to a lens manufacturer that got recently acquired by Safran, and that's all I know about it's history.

We have tri-phase so no worries about power, BUT, 1. Y-axis power feed module is missing :( , 2. No tooling whatsoever. All else seams to be sliding very easily, all axis and rotary head, also not a speck of rust.

Spindle seems to be of B3 kind, and sometime someone bought a adapter of collet size I don't know what, looks double taper, maybe a B3 to KT30 adapter? Also, is this old B3 collet type the same sold by Hardinge?

Anyway, that's all I've got (besides the very weird schaublin 70 clone I also bought with the 2D). For now I want to get it running (a minimum viable machine) and probably a couple of months from now will try to start a proper restoration.

Any help is welcomed! Thanks!

20210917_093131.jpg
20210917_093055.jpg
20210917_093026.jpg
20210917_092857.jpg
20210917_092752.jpg

I think your thread was flagged as you are a new member. I approved it, and it should be visible to all now. Your pics posted nice here. The other thread you posted the same info, the pics were small.

Good luck with the mill, looks like an interesting find.

Hey folks, new guy here. I found and bought a Milwaukee model D. This is my first non-woodworking machine. I was looking for a regular milling machine for a while, but they are quite expensive here (São Paulo - Brazil). But then I found this beauty sort of hidden, at a much lower price than other machines. It belonged to a lens manufacturer that got recently acquired by Safran, and that's all I know about it's history.

We have tri-phase so no worries about power, BUT, 1. Y-axis power feed module is missing :( , 2. No tooling whatsoever. All else seams to be sliding very easily, all axis and rotary head, also not a speck of rust.

Spindle seems to be of B3 kind, and sometime someone bought a adapter of collet size I don't know what, looks double taper, maybe a B3 to KT30 adapter? Also, is this old B3 collet type the same sold by Hardinge?

Anyway, that's all I've got (besides the very weird schaublin 70 clone I also bought with the 2D). For now I want to get it running (a minimum viable machine) and probably a couple of months from now will try to start a proper restoration.

Any help is welcomed! Thanks!

View attachment 329490
View attachment 329491
View attachment 329492
View attachment 329493
View attachment 329494

One of the most beautiful and versatile mills ever made. Not made for hogging though.
Finding tooling will be very challenging. That's the number one drawback.
I bought a second mill just too get a full set of collets.

Congratulations on your purchase.
I went too Curritiba for six months in 1980. I love your country
You have a soft drink called Guadana [spelling?] Its soo goood.

Hello: I have owned a 2d for many years now .. The are fantastic machines... Yours appears to have the B3 spindle as mine once did.... My spindle was opened up to R8 before I got it.....You may find much free information for Kearney and Trecker machines, including the lot book so that you can put a date of manufacture on yours here: Kearney & Trecker Co. - Publication Reprints | VintageMachinery.org

Cheers; Ramsay 1:)

I am very likely wrong, but since my '68 had no "in and out feed" I assume none had

As far as the KNEE up and down - later ones were available with electric motor assist - but only as a rapid:D

Can email manual if you care to Private Message me that address - its less than 3Mb

Manual and brochure pages emailed

Last edited:
texasgunsmith

I think your thread was flagged as you are a new member. I approved it, and it should be visible to all now. Your pics posted nice here. The other thread you posted the same info, the pics were small.

Good luck with the mill, looks like an interesting find.

I think I used my yearly dose of luck by finding it, now it's all on me to make it run. Thanks for the thread management.

mllud22

One of the most beautiful and versatile mills ever made. Not made for hogging though.
Finding tooling will be very challenging. That's the number one drawback.
I bought a second mill just too get a full set of collets.

Congratulations on your purchase.
I went too Curritiba for six months in 1980. I love your country
You have a soft drink called Guadana [spelling?] Its soo goood.

My favorite street here in São Paulo is one entirely dedicated to used machine sellers. I'm very used to see BP clones at every store front (Brazilian, Argentinian, Spanish, French, american machines are quite rare here), so I knew my 2D was something special from the first time I saw it. Took a while to find out what it really was, vintagemachinery.org helped a lot.
I'm a total beginner machinist and am wondering how difficult would it be to just make a complete set of collets?

Curitiba is a nice city, not too far from here, and Guaraná used to be my favorite soft drink, my whole family worked at Antarctica (the brewer that made Guaraná and beer too). I live near to it's old building, it's a very industrial neighborhood, and because of that we don't have to worry about 3-phase, it's everywhere!

ramsay1

Hello: I have owned a 2d for many years now .. The are fantastic machines... Yours appears to have the B3 spindle as mine once did.... My spindle was opened up to R8 before I got it.....You may find much free information for Kearney and Trecker machines, including the lot book so that you can put a date of manufacture on yours here: Kearney & Trecker Co. - Publication Reprints | VintageMachinery.org

Cheers; Ramsay 1

I've read a few comments you made about the 2D on the forum, they were very usefull, as vintagemachinery was, to make my mind on buying it. So, thank you very much?
I found a couple of KT30 collet blue prints on VM but could not find one on B3 collets, do you know where I could find one? And also if you happen to have any 2D factory blue print. I will definitely try to update all drawings I can get my hands on and put them on Fusion360 or something like that so everybody can use them as reference. My ultimate plan is to have this whole machine on 3d and available to everyone.

johnoder

I am very likely wrong, but since my '68 had no "in and out feed" I assume none had

Can email manual if you care to Private Message me that address - its less than 3Mb

I may have misnamed my axis? I think it's the X-axis power feed that is missing, and yes, they never had a "in an out"(Y-axis) feed.

B3 collets will no doubt be hard to find.. I suspect that is why my spindle was opened up to R8 before I got it.. R8 is much better though I am no great fan of R8.. Cheers; Ramsay 1:)

My 2D has a powered y feed. Not factory though, added by an ingenious previous owner (Oxford University engineering department). DC motor driving the y feed screw with a chain through an electromagnetic clutch. Feed set with a potentiometer, with buttons for in, out, stop and rapid. Micro switch end stops and adjustable stops.
48133CD6-7248-4F09-A039-44A677FFDAC4.jpg

Back