What's new
What's new

New to me...Toolmaster

Machdaddy

Plastic
So I wanted a milling machine, and I thought I wanted a Bridgeport. A Cincinnati Toolmaster showed up on C'list ind I could see from the pics it was a vertical style mill so I decided to broaden my horizons and take a look. Initially I passed because I swallowed the cool-ade and thought it's B'port or nothing. Then I did a little research, messaged the seller back quickly and pulled the trigger. It's paid for and a check has been cut for the rigging co.
Turns out it's a Cincinnati Toolmaster H-V and I'm going f*!*!*!g crazy waiting for delivery. In order to help "cool my jets" I decided to see if the folks on here could tell my anything about it. Sorry about the crappy pictures, it is currently in the corner of a dark garage. If you could tell me what specific head it has I could narrow my research a bit. There is really quite a bit of pubic domain info but it would narrow my searching. Also is this NMTB 40 toolholder I hope I hope.
Any things I should particularly pay attention to?
Better pics to follow I promise!
Thanks!
(damn I still don't seem to have the hang of adding pics)

Attachments

• IMG_0831.jpg
    IMG_0831.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 414
  • IMG_0832.jpg
    IMG_0832.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 383
  • IMG_0841.jpg
    IMG_0841.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 339
  • IMG_0835.jpg
    IMG_0835.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG_0847.jpg
    IMG_0847.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 321
Last edited:
you have a 1-d and a 1-c , on the same column. a wet dream...........i'm jealous

yes, both use standard 40 taper holders . no special tooling needed.

there's a zerk under the vertical motor that gets a shot of grease. don't over
do it or you'll get grease on the belt. on top of the feedbox is a hex plug
(over the knurled round thing) fill that with oil . that's what lubes the
feedbox and quill and such. doesn't really matter , but i use way lube because it's already in my pump can . there's bijur oilers on the table and knee as well.they get way oil.

don't know shit about a 1-c.

mine's a 1-d , and -no- i don't wish it were a bridgeport . it will hog steel
with a 1" endmill. a bridgeport would do a patsy kline . i have the manuals,
but they are freely available online . someone else will chime in.

great find.

Finally here! It's bigger and dirtier than I remembered, luckily I thrive on cleaning up old machinery! Speaking of old can anyone tell me what year this is from! Ser.# an the main body is 5531HVD5VI. On the cover plate for the electronics (which seem to be in excellent cond.) is # 5531HVD54-0001.
So anything in particular you would like to see a picture of?

Attachments

• IMG_1054.jpg
    IMG_1054.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 206
  • UDHB4245.jpg
    UDHB4245.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_1059.jpg
    IMG_1059.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_1058.jpg
    IMG_1058.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_1057.jpg
    IMG_1057.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 214
Very nice. Looks like late production, made in 1969.

Maybe some photos inside the electrical cabinet?

you have a 1-d and a 1-c , on the same column. a wet dream...........i'm jealous
I'm just laffin'!!!

Not the first guy who looked at a photo of a Toolmaster with no other reference and thought "Oh well, just another BirdPort clone."

Then you see 'em side-by side or up close and personal and say: "Bird WHAT?"

'coz if the Cinncy is the "master" its the poor BirdPort as was meant to be the "tool". Cincinnati had a MEAN sense of humour!

:D

Take good care of it- I wanted to go get it but was just too darn busy. I have a soft spot for Toolmaster mills. The box ways and 40 taper spindle are sweet. I have a Toolmaster vertical only that I took out of a school years ago and it is so smooth and tight that people think that it has ball screws. The one sweet addition would be o add a power drawbar. Good luck with it....

Take good care of it- I wanted to go get it but was just too darn busy. I have a soft spot for Toolmaster mills. The box ways and 40 taper spindle are sweet. I have a Toolmaster vertical only that I took out of a school years ago and it is so smooth and tight that people think that it has ball screws. The one sweet addition would be o add a power drawbar. Good luck with it....

PDQ-Marlin "S", 40 taper ass-end, drawbar can just SIT!

Several more side-locks came in yesterday...

;)

Very nice! Good for you and what a great machine! Similar path for me. Went looking for a lathe for the garage, figured a south bend... Came back with a Tray Top. It was in superb condition and is a fantastic machine. Went looking recently for a mill, figured BPT (running out of room in my small residential garage) bought a Lagun instead. The difference is truly night and day between these two machine classes and any comparison would be a waste of time.

A couple of Toolmasters crossed my radar. I would have loved one especially based on my Cinci brand succes. Unfortunately they were either too 'rough', too much money, or too far away. The only 'thing' with Cinci is parts. Your beaut looks great though. Good luck with it and enjoy!!!

I have the same mill. Great piece of equipment and very versatile. I use the horizontal side more than the vertical, but that is because I have two other vertical mills.

When it comes to moving metal, the Cinci is the go to machine. Power to all three axis with rapids is great.

The electrical side is extremely simple. It does have three motors.

Great find and looks to be in great condition.

Thanks for the encouragement!Is there an economical way to generate 3 phase power sufficient to run it? I was given a new electronic phase converter (made in China)and it's hit or miss at best, currently throwing an error code hence not operating. Does a static phase converter need to be rated for the total H.P.of all 3 motors? That may be my problem, but it was working fine on Sunday. I paid a little more than I hoped to get her this far (purchase and rigging)so I would like to provide elec on the cheap, what's been your experience...
Some pics inside the electrical box as requested.

IMG_1068.jpgIMG_1069.jpgIMG_1070.jpgIMG_1071.jpgIMG_1072.jpg

As per usual pic are rotated CCw 90 degrees.

I guess that, for "new electronic phase converter (made in China)" you mean a variable frequency driver (VFD). The bad news is that, independently from where they're made, as far as I know, not a single VFD tolerates anything between its output and the motor: straight connections, no magnetic contactors, switches, etc.
The best solution for you is to build a rotary phase converter: you need a 3 phase motor at least as powerful as the most powerful of the motors of your mill and a bunch of capacitors, contactors, etc. You have the choice of either build the box by yourself or buy it as kit or assembled from a couple of companies. It will cost you less than three VFDs (one for each motor).

Paolo

American Rotary RPCs are sweet. I think it's economical but that's subjective. Love mine, run it all day long.

Thanks for posting the elec cabinet photos. Looks very clean, not covered in an oily film like mine was.

Another vote here for the American Rotary APC. I've got one to power my Toolmaster and Hydrashift lathe, and it's been a good set up. Like most things of this nature, buy one bigger than you think you'll need. My RPC will run both machines all day with no problems, but when I bought it, I only had the lathe. I'm glad I went up a size from what I needed to run just the lathe.

Build your own if you're short on cash. At its most elemental, a RPC is a used 3phase motor started by pulling a rope wrapped around a shaft.

A used 3 phase, 2-3 hp motor can be had for well under $50. Connecticut is lousy wit' 'em! :) And if you want to drive to Vermont, I'll give you one.

Went with American Rotary and I am very pleased with the company and the product. She runs and today I'm going to check the fluid levels and make sure that's all good. Turns out the single collet holder and collet that was in the machine when I purchased it is a 100TG series which is really too bad because I have already purchased a set of ER40's. Don't think I can return them because I took one out of the plastic shrink wrap. Oh well.
The only issue with the machine that I can find is the power feed to the quill. The hand wheel shaft rotates when it is engaged but the actual quill doesn't move either direction. Moves fine with the hand lever but it seems like it may have a broken sheer pin or something. Anyone had to deal with a similar issue?
Thanks!
Oh yeah, what type of machine uses 100TG collets?

Back