What's new
What's new

New piece to the collection- K&T 2CH

jeff76

Cast Iron
Bought a K&T 2CH online for my collection. I don't have any pics yet as I am not picking it up until Wednesday. Included is a vertical head(mounted currently), dividing head, and a spiral attachment that no pics were included of. I wanted to get an idea what all should be included with the spiral attachment so I know what Im looking for?

Thanks,
Jeff

The manual that John kindly provided me with the link to is refering me to catalog UHS-10 for the information on the lead attachment and dividing head for spiral work. Didn't come up with much on my search engine for that. Anyone have a link or info. about that catalog?

Jeff

The manual that John kindly provided me with the link to is refering me to catalog UHS-10 for the information on the lead attachment and dividing head for spiral work. Didn't come up with much on my search engine for that. Anyone have a link or info. about that catalog?

Jeff

Try this one that I uploaded to that site: Kearney & Trecker Co. - Publication Reprints - Model H Universal Spiral Dividing Head - Tables of Leads and Indexing Divis | VintageMachinery.org Cheers; Ramsay 1:)

Excellent. Thanks you very much. Found lots of other useful information there as well! Definitely need to remember that site. Should have checked that out from Johns link but just went to the link and didn't pay attention where it came from. Looking forward to getting the machine home!

Jeff

Got it home

Picked it up today and just got it unloaded. It is s/n# 18-8268 if someone can put a year of manufacture on it. Here are a few pics.

Jeff

Attachments

• k&t3.jpg
    k&t3.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 160
  • k&t4.jpg
    k&t4.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 160
  • k&t1.jpg
    k&t1.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 163
  • k&t2.jpg
    k&t2.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 139
  • k&t5.jpg
    k&t5.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 154
Thinking it would be nice to have a chuck for the dividing head. How did the original mount? Did it use the three threaded holes or would it have had a tapered mount? Looks like I need to start watching for some nmtb 40 and 50 tool holders and some 50 arbors as well. I am completely new to horizontals. Never had or ran one before.

Jeff

Thanks ramsay1. Thats just the information I was looking for. Im guessing those chucks may be hard to come by now-lol. In looking at the dividing head I got with the mill I'm thinking it may be for a larger machine perhaps. Wondering if its going to work with the spiral attachment. Havent had time to check yet but the head mounting slots are slightly wider than the slots on the table and the head measures slightly larger dimensions than the 10 or 12 in the catalog. In appearance it somewhat resembles the 14". They had another head so I went back to check if it was a smaller one but was same as the one I got. Talked with there machinist whos been there 4o plus years and he said thats all they ever had but also said he had never done spiraling on that mill. They had a #3 that they did the spiraling on. Ill dig a little further later.

Is there a lead attachment for that mill? You will need it to cut spirals and helices...On the dividing head, you will need the proper foot stock for the model K dividing head.. The 14" takes one to itself but the 10 and 12 inch have the same offset...Use the link I provided to see which dividing head is correct for the machine you are using....Ramsay 1:)

Is there a lead attachment for that mill? You will need it to cut spirals and helices...On the dividing head, you will need the proper foot stock for the model K dividing head.. The 14" takes one to itself but the 10 and 12 inch have the same offset...Use the link I provided to see which dividing head is correct for the machine you are using....Ramsay 1:)

The lead attachment that came with the mill is on the left of the pic with the dividing head in it with the pile of gears in front of it. According to the catalog you provided me with the link for, my mill only accepts the 10 and 12 heads. I think that I may have a mix match of parts but not positive yet.

Jeff

What is the lot number on the dividing head? Foot stock? Lead attachment?

Ramsay 1:)

The head and the foot stock both have the number 14 6530 on them. I see the foot stock is missing the screw piece to move it back and forth along with its handle and retainer. I cannot find a number on the lead attachment anywhere. Any guess as to where it should be?

Jeff

The head and the foot stock both have the number 14 6530 on them. I see the foot stock is missing the screw piece to move it back and forth along with its handle and retainer. I cannot find a number on the lead attachment anywhere. Any guess as to where it should be?

Jeff

14 - 6530....#14 in a lot of 25 total, twelve inch model k produced May 1951. Looks like you have the proper foot stock...There should be a raised area on the lead box with numbers stamped on it.. Would love to see more pix of the lead box and gears.. Ramsay 1:)

14 - 6530....#14 in a lot of 25 total, twelve inch model k produced May 1951. Looks like you have the proper foot stock...There should be a raised area on the lead box with numbers stamped on it.. Would love to see more pix of the lead box and gears.. Ramsay 1:)

I cant find the spot with the numbers stamped in. The only thing I see is the number 38289 cast into the door and the number 10 stamped near one of the hinges. I dont see anything that resembles what I seen on the dividing head and foot stock. Here are some pictures. Let me know if you want any more pics of anything more specific.

Jeff

lead box.jpglead box 1.jpglead box 3.jpglead box 2.jpg

Standard Lead Attachment alright.. looks like you have all the gears as well just wonder why no lot number on the assembly..Should be a total of 13 gears 16 dp..Conventional lead attachment.. ..Ramsay 1:)

Back