Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Montana View Post
    How do you like the engineering redo, a cooling fan on the motor pulley to make the motor run cool in the hole???...Phil
    I noticed that, cast iron fan even. The motor has ports underneath on both sides of the bell housings, so it looks like it was designed with something like that in mind.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ramsay1 View Post
    If you take the end bells off, you will likely find the windings packed full of grease because some trunk monkey did not know how to properly grease the bearings... Remove purge plug, pump grease in until the grease in your grease gun comes out of the purge plug hole.. Wipe grease from purge plug hole. Run motor for one minute to expel excess grease.. Wipe purge plug hole.. Re install purge plug.. DO NOT ADD MORE GREASE! Many good motors have been ruined by grease in the windings causing temperature rise and failure.. Cheers from Louisiana.. Ramsay 1
    Thanks for the advice, I'll do that. Although the pulley end is hard to access when installed, which is why the grease fitting for that end runs over the top to the other side of the motor. Of course at this point the ends are coming off and new bearings going in.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rabler View Post
    I noticed that, cast iron fan even. The motor has ports underneath on both sides of the bell housings, so it looks like it was designed with something like that in mind.
    I think that classed it as "Open, Drip Proof" and perhaps even "Fan Aided"
    then?

So long as not BADLY full of rocks, dog hair, mud-dauber incubator-tubes, and truant Hickory-nut shells, they cool "OK".

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The purge plug on the take off end is hard to get to but I have had luck using a long ratchet extension I think 1/4" with a crescent wrench on the square end.. You can get below the pulley that way... I like to use shielded bearings and I pop the shield out on the side where grease goes in.. Cheers; Ramsay 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One must consider that these machines were made to run 24/7 ....Likely why examples of them remain and still do what they were designed to do ... They were made to last .. Cheers; Ramsay 1

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Painting done, far from a perfect job but looks good to me. Motor going back in after replacing the old 14 ga solid wire with 10ga MTW (stranded). Bearings were regreased per previous post although not yet run pending connecting wiring up to control box (contactor).

7. Likes texasgunsmith liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Hampshire
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Painting done, far from a perfect job but looks good to me. Motor going back in after replacing the old 14 ga solid wire with 10ga MTW (stranded). Bearings were regreased per previous post although not yet run pending connecting wiring up to control box (contactor).

Paint looks great. I'm with you; the machine green always looks a bit grungy, even when clean! Really like the "WAR FINISH" stamp. Such a great piece of history.

The existing 14 gauge wire would probably have been fine (although it never hurts to size up!). My ampacity table gives 25 amps for THHN 14 gauge (that's a 90C insulation) and 32 amps for "chassis wiring", i.e. short sections of wire in air. NEC only allows 15 amps on 14 gauge wire in a house, but that's a different situation (and usually involves 60C Romex).

Just throwing it out there for future readers faced with a similar dilemma, although I would have done the same thing you did. Only costs a couple bucks, even with today's crazy copper prices, to put a more comfortable size in there...

<edit> Just saw it was solid core 14 gauge wire. Yuck. Definitely better to replace that with some stranded MTW!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TMS8C8 View Post
    Paint looks great. I'm with you; the machine green always looks a bit grungy, even when clean! Really like the "WAR FINISH" stamp. Such a great piece of history.

The existing 14 gauge wire would probably have been fine (although it never hurts to size up!). My ampacity table gives 25 amps for THHN 14 gauge (that's a 90C insulation) and 32 amps for "chassis wiring", i.e. short sections of wire in air. NEC only allows 15 amps on 14 gauge wire in a house, but that's a different situation (and usually involves 60C Romex).

Just throwing it out there for future readers faced with a similar dilemma, although I would have done the same thing you did. Only costs a couple bucks, even with today's crazy copper prices, to put a more comfortable size in there...

<edit> Just saw it was solid core 14 gauge wire. Yuck. Definitely better to replace that with some stranded MTW!
    Thanks! Repainting gives me a good chance to clean things up and look things over.

For posterity: 2.5 ohms/1000 ft for 14ga, 1 ohm / 1000ft for 14ga. I ran about 8 ft, we'll call it 10 for easy numbers. So .025 ohms, with 25A FLA for the motor. Only about 1.25 volts line-to-line drop. 4 or 5 volts drop for startup inrush. Pretty reasonable. And at .0025 ohms/ft, about 4.5 watts per foot for all three conductors. That's only while the motor is at full load. So yeah, 14ga is sufficient from a voltage drop and thermal perspective.

This was also the chance to remove a bunch of butt splices in the lines.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ramsay1 View Post
    One must consider that these machines were made to run 24/7 ....Likely why examples of them remain and still do what they were designed to do ... They were made to last .. Cheers; Ramsay 1
    Yeah, cleaning up the motor I could see it also had an internal impeller-style fan. It would be interesting to know what this machine had done for it's 77 year history.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yeah, cleaning up the motor I could see it also had an internal impeller-style fan. It would be interesting to know what this machine had done for it's 77 year history.
    I just wish they could talk.. Would love to know what my "war babies" did before I got them.. Cheers from Louisiana... Ramsay 1

12. Likes rabler liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Albert Einstein died April 18, 1955.

These machines were around in a hell of a era, my index mill was shipped 1951. Pretty interesting I think. I agree, wish they could talk.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Homebrewblob View Post
    Albert Einstein died April 18, 1955.

These machines were around in a hell of a era, my index mill was shipped 1951. Pretty interesting I think. I agree, wish they could talk.
    The place I retired from had just acquired a statue of Einstein in his thinking pose. Apparently it was one of three, this being the last one which had belonged to his estate as I remember.

15. Likes Kjelle, Homebrewblob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sent an email thru the forum - you will have to reply to it so I have your email address to send manual to - or you can just go thru this list of 366 and find the right one for your 2K

http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex...?id=2098&tab=3

have fun

Quote Originally Posted by Craigmno1 View Post
    Hi, new to this forum. Recently purchased a 2k serial # 29-3303. Seen this post about manuals and tried messaging my email. Couldn't get the message sent. Would appreciate any help in getting those manuals.

Thanks in advance

Craig

Post Thanks / Like

Lot 3303 one of SIXTY horizontals completed October 1941 - just before the poop hit the fan

But I am so far unable to come up with the 2KM / 3KM manual referred to above in this thread

Apologies to Craig

On Edit - Fixed it

Quote Originally Posted by Craigmno1 View Post
    Hi, new to this forum. Recently purchased a 2k serial # 29-3303. Seen this post about manuals and tried messaging my email. Couldn't get the message sent. Would appreciate any help in getting those manuals.

Thanks in advance

Craig
    Last edited by johnoder; 05-04-2021 at 07:46 PM.

18. Likes Kjelle liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The 3K ran for the first time in my shop this week. Working on flushing and changing all of the oil reservoirs.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The 3K ran for the first time in my shop this week. Working on flushing and changing all of the oil reservoirs.
    Still got all your fingers and toes I hope!

I imagine that big girl don’t run very fast, more like a calm jog? I guess the question is how fast can you run to catch it!

Post Thanks / Like

I think lube specs are in the K&T part of Vintage Machinery. If like the smaller mills - DTE Heavy Medium in both column and knee

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by johnoder View Post
    I think lube specs are in the K&T part of Vintage Machinery. If like the smaller mills - DTE Heavy Medium in both column and knee
    John,
    Thanks, yes, DTE Heavy Medium is what I am using. I don't remember where/how I came to that, but I do frequent vintagemachinery.org as well as donate to that site. I'm going to need another 5 gallon pail though. The column is 4 gallons.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Homebrewblob View Post
    Still got all your fingers and toes I hope!

I imagine that big girl don’t run very fast, more like a calm jog? I guess the question is how fast can you run to catch it!
    I do have all my digits intact. But I didn't put a cutter in it yet.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Out of curiosity, what are the spindle speeds ?