What's new
What's new

Newly acquired 1930 Hendey 12x30 18speed Gearhead lathe

skipd1

Cast Iron
I recently pulled the trigger and purchased a 1930 Hendey 12x30 gear head lathe. The lathe is labeled as a 12" swing, but it will handle 14 inches. It came only with a 8" 3 jaw chuck, so I need a 4 jaw, and at least one faceplate. My question is will a 10 inch 4 jaw work fine on this machine? I will probably look for a 6 jaw as well. I assume a BXA quick change tool post is the correct size.
Also I would like to get in touch with I think a member of this forum call Hendeyman if that is possible.

CXA worked perfectly on my 12 (actual 14 1/2) X 30 P&W

You may know that if it has the 2 1/4 - 6 threaded spindle nose that you will be making your own back plates for the chucks

I would guess cxa as well on tool post. But good news, you dont need to guess. Measure from compound rest to centerline of spindle.

Now google "aloris cxa precision tool post" and "aloris cxa-1".

In the search results choose the aloris website. Look at the pics for those two pieces and you will see the dimensions.

Keep in mind the actual tool with tool tip in position in the cxa1. You want a #1 holder roughly in the middle of tool post, not bottomed out or totally at the top.

You can check the same with a bxa.

Amazing if actually a 1930 machine

Unless he has an EBM or ECM lathe - which I believe ceased production around 1929 - his lathe would be 1937 or later. That's the year the ubiquitous 12 speed Hendey gear heads we available with 18 speeds. I believe the following year is when the raised swing was made standard.

Back