What's new
What's new

No.3S Cincinnati Horizontal mill

farmalMV

Plastic
I recently discovered two No.3S Cincinnati horizontal mills. Each has a 5 digit serial number stamped just above the arbor hole.
the blue one is E390H and the Green one(has the vertical head) B243T. It seems these two machine are from the early 30's or earlier. can anyone help with the identification and offer any advice on restoring these two machines?

IMG_5204.jpg IMG_5377.jpg IMG_5231.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Old machines, have bs tapers, I bet they both run. I cut off my little pinky finger with one but not with a cutter, I used the shift leaver to do it, put my little pinky in the interlock so you cant move 2 axes at one time and shifted the leaver, ( the docs sewed it back on but its cold all the time)...Phil

Last edited:
Blue one is universal.

Advice on restoring:

Restore one machine at a time, one alone will have pieces everywhere.

Take lots of pics before and during tear down. Post those pics here as you go. :D

I'd strip in large sections, don't disassemble everything into a million pieces at once. Do the base and tower first. Then go through other sections, that can be mounted as you go.

Zip lock sandwich bags, boxes, buckets etc to organize the pieces as you tear down. Write a note to identify hardware or pieces in zip lock bags, and place note inside the bags with the hardware. What seems obvious today, may not a year from now during assembly.

Can't find a manual on those, but this may help as rough guides, has service and parts:
http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2097/15242.pdf

From 1923. The 3S was between the 2 and 3 High Power

20200930_085343.jpg20200930_085409.jpg

On Edit:

I'll guess both are plain bearing spindles - since the newer gray (blue?) does not have the inset ring around spindle nose that the Timken bearing spindles had - like this 2M

Timken 2M.jpg

If I am doing the serials right, B is 1919 and E is 1922. I base this on CMM telling me 40 years ago that my #4 Vertical High Power B-121-M was from 1919

Blue one is universal.

Advice on restoring:

Restore one machine at a time, one alone will have pieces everywhere.

Take lots of pics before and during tear down. Post those pics here as you go. :D

I'd strip in large sections, don't disassemble everything into a million pieces at once. Do the base and tower first. Then go through other sections, that can be mounted as you go.

Zip lock sandwich bags, boxes, buckets etc to organize the pieces as you tear down. Write a note to identify hardware or pieces in zip lock bags, and place note inside the bags with the hardware. What seems obvious today, may not a year from now during assembly.

Can't find a manual on those, but this may help as rough guides, has service and parts:
http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2097/15242.pdf

I paid my way through college repairing Sewing and embroidery machines(Mostly industrial). So I have lots of practice doing exactly what you described. So much easier now that we can take pictures with a phone. I used to sketch some assemblies, still do sometimes.

I worked my way through college repairing sewing and embroidery machines(mostly industrial). So I have lots of experience doing exactly what you are describing. It is great that we have phones to take pictures with now. I used to have to sketch assemblies on a note pad. Still do that sometimes to make reassembly easier.

Here is a little shot of the line drawing of the "guts" - showing the plain spindle bearings - conical front and cylindrical rear - from 1923

20200930_160539.jpg

I see the big long 14 B&S taper is sort of phantomed in

Back