What's new
What's new

Norton U4 Cylindrical grinder questions

deerefanatic

Aluminum
I just bought a 1956 Norton U4 Universal Cylindrical grinder, 14x36 size. It came with a manual, though that manual is for a 12x36 machine, and the pictures don't really look similar. Right now, I'm trying to figure out where to fill the hydraulic reservoir. The sight glass on the front of the machine is basically empty, but I can't find a fill port anywhere so far on the machine. It has enough oil to kinda work, but the pump cavitates due to low oil level.

Any help would be awesome. Thanks!

Don't know about fifties - early photos WW2 time line show both coolant and Hyd pumps suspended side by side in separate rectangular reservoirs that have lift off covers. I suppose one took off the cover and dumped in some fluid

So on mine, the hydraulic reservoir is in the casting under the bedways.. Coolant reservoir is in the back by the wheel slide and swivel.

So, my machine isnt really similar to that one. Turns out, it looks like the reservoir is under the table and open topped... seems you just crank the table over and dump in the oil.. :/ I'll post some pics when I get back to a computer.

Pictures as promised. I contacted the original owner and he indicated that you crank the table all the way to the left and dump in the fluid.

20200204_184813.jpg20200204_184712.jpg20200204_184706.jpg

So next question: Does anyone know how the picker feed operates on these? I kinda sorta got it to work intermittently.. but I think I'm not getting the entire picture on how it works. Manual is vague in the nature of "yah, the machine has an adjustable picker feed that can feed the wheel at each table reversal" and that's about it.

So next question: Does anyone know how the picker feed operates on these? I kinda sorta got it to work intermittently.. but I think I'm not getting the entire picture on how it works. Manual is vague in the nature of "yah, the machine has an adjustable picker feed that can feed the wheel at each table reversal" and that's about it.

Here are some B&S pages with a similar system (published in 1920) that may shed some light. On my B&S #4, the table dogs that make this "pick" won't stay put anymore

scan01_1.jpg

scan01_2.jpg

I have a 12 or 14x48, but haven't worked on it yet. Also I have the 10x20, which the picker feed did not work. It's been a few years, but I remember mine being gummed up. The parts just required cleaning to make it work

Back