Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    While you're in there ... I guess you can't for this engine, but I'm somewhat fascinated by the way they bolt two blocks and cranks together to make a 16v out of two 8's .... not that I think a 12v53 would be cool or anything, but ...
    Another bolt-together design was the Chrysler multibank tried as a tank engine.
    Weird Warrior: Chrysler’s A57 30-Cylinder Tank Engine | Mac's Motor City Garage

Electromotive has an interesting history:
    Electro-Motive Diesel - Wikipedia

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Iowa
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by texasgunsmith View Post
    That badge must be off another engine. A natural 4-71 was rated something like 75kw, in the area of 100hp. Even tricked out with a turbo and extras I can't see it gaining 10x's that. But it did have a hole in the side you said, so maybe they tried to get that out of it.
    Non turbo 4-71 was right around 150 hp. Non turbo 6-71 was often rated at 238 hp. Marine 6-71 with a turbo was offered with a rating as high as 485hp, with a corresponding short life.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

While you're in there ... I guess you can't for this engine, but I'm somewhat fascinated by the way they bolt two blocks and cranks together to make a 16v out of two 8's .... not that I think a 12v53 would be cool or anything, but ...
    Saw this setup in a Hayes logger.

dd-16v.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by texasgunsmith View Post
    I forgot about this comment. Funny coincidence, I was on an EMD tug today and wanted to post on it. Its turbo'd with no blowers. Two stroke Detroits must have a blower, whether a turbo or not. EMD's are different though, in that the turbo is gear driven at lower rpms. As it spools up to speed under load, I'm pretty sure the gear driven part, disengages, though I'm not 100% clear on that.
    Had to go look Early 645's only had the rootes blower but then they invented the thingy you describe. It's a gear-and-shaft-driven turbocharger with an overruning clutch. Cool idea. Must be a heck of an overruning clutch to handle turbo speeds and heat.

Claim is, the next generation figured out how to just use the turbo for induction, even at idling speed. Wonder how ... variable vanes ?

5. Likes texasgunsmith liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Had to go look Early 645's only had the rootes blower but then they invented the thingy you describe. It's a gear-and-shaft-driven turbocharger with an overruning clutch. Cool idea. Must be a heck of an overruning clutch to handle turbo speeds and heat.

Claim is, the next generation figured out how to just use the turbo for induction, even at idling speed. Wonder how ... variable vanes ?
    I've assisted replacing one of those turbos, and assisted some other EMD jobs. But I'm not a regular EMD tech, the regular guys are a bit specialized in that EMD's is all they do. So I couldn't answer for certainty, but my thought was with the gear engaged it spun up the turbo fast enough to force air into the cylinders at idle. And once engine speed or enough load for the exhaust to spin the turbo. . .then the gear disengages.

Like other engines, they have different applications. But primarily marine, trains, and power generation. Not sure the turbo/blower set up on trains or power gen, I'm a little more familiar with the marine side of EMD. I'm not sure now, but for quite a while I think Engine Systems handled all or most of the turbo rebuilds, atleast on the marine side. Though Engine Systems does other things as well:
    Engine Systems

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for posting about these engines. They look to be a very “clean” design. Should be quite good to work on. Some are nightmares! Will try and post a picture of my favourite.
    The shaft line to the Z drives is a bit of a shocker.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This is my favourite over complicated German girl.
    mtu_1.jpg

She is a MTU 595 TE90. top of my head around 3000Kw. V16, 8 turbos in a 2 up compound and 4x sequential. 5 intercoolers.
    It is the most amazing assault on the senses standing between 2 of them when the throttles are slammed to the stops. Revs don't come up super fast but the noise coming from the turbos and various flaps as they come online still sends a shiver down my spine!good times.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails i10091813.jpg  
    Last edited by Boat Brat; 09-19-2021 at 12:28 AM. Reason: Have tried to edit as the first picture was of a v12 not 16. seem to have ended up with both now.

9. Likes texasgunsmith liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default O/T V8 EMD Engine

It is interesting to note the 2-cycle EMD diesels have not been EPA-compliant for new locomotive use for over a decade.

EMD just couldn’t get the diesel engine to meet Tier-4 standards without exhaust treatment, with the Class 1 railroads being adamant against the use of DEF fluid.

EMD - which is now known as Electro Motive Diesel, is owned by Caterpillar, and finally have achieved ~some~ success with a new 4-stroke design for locomotive use. It’s ironic how Cat was never able to crack the locomotive prime-mover market, considering their experience and expertise in diesel engines.

Still yet, GE Locomotive (now owned by and called Wabtec) basically owns what new locomotive business is to be had in North America, as their diesel is an evolution of the existing 4-stroke design they’ve used for decades (with no exhaust after-treatment required).

The Class 1 railroads have been rebuilding EMD’s for years, as a rebuilt locomotive doesn’t have to meet the latest EPA requirements.

The late 60’s- to 70’s-era EMD SD40’s/45’s, and the 80’s-era SD50’s/60’s have been the workhorse of the industry for half a century, and with most being rebuilt, it seems the mighty 2-stroke 645 and 710 engines will live on in service.

ToolCat

11. Likes texasgunsmith liked this post
    Country
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cnctoolcat View Post
    The late 60’s- to 70’s-era EMD SD40’s/45’s, and the 80’s-era SD50’s/60’s have been the workhorse of the industry for half a century, and with most being rebuilt, it seems the mighty 2-stroke 645 and 710 engines will live on in service.
    Train of lumber pulled through yesterday, noticed it because it was CN locos, some type of SD.

It was noticeable because of the noise level The BNSF GE's are much quieter ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default O/T V8 EMD Engine

Train of lumber pulled through yesterday, noticed it because it was CN locos, some type of SD.

It was noticeable because of the noise level The BNSF GE's are much quieter ...
    GE’s locomotives are definitely quieter, they never sound like they are working hard.

On the other hand, to stand trackside as a quartet of EMD SD40-2’s approach on a grade dragging a mile of train on the drawbar, throttle in Run 8, sanders wide open, turbos screaming, the earth rumbling…, I tell ya, it’s almost a religious experience!

People always rave about how they love the sound of Detroit 2-strokes in semi trucks, but that’s nothing compared to the smooth powerful roar of wide-open, 16-cylinder 645E’s converting horsepower to amps.

Too bad most mainline duties are handled by GE’s….it’s just not the same experience for us railfans.

ToolCat

Country
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cnctoolcat View Post
    Too bad most mainline duties are handled by GE’s….it’s just not the same experience for us railfans.
    The ones I liked best are the Trainmasters. Those things, even pulling a commuter train, you knew they were making some ponies ! And they'd pick up and scoot, too.

15. Likes cnctoolcat liked this post