What's new
What's new

Older, clogged, needed double bypass

Bronzegrey

Plastic
Hello there,

I had to bypass the oil/coolant drain in order to finish the project. I'm using cutting oil and the drain through the table is clogged. If anyone knows of a way to clear the oil passage, I would be very appreciative.

This is a 1930's (?) Cincinnati #2L Horizontal Milling Machine.

I have been able to clear the trough towards the back of the table, and the lower trough that the table drain into, and the path from the casting above the cross feed screw to the bottom reservoir is clear. Just the drain from the lower part of the table to the cross feed screw is still clogged and difficult to access.

The garden hoses work, but they have drawbacks.

Thank you,

Fergus

Attachments

• IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0005.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0218.jpg
    IMG_0218.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_1149.jpg
    IMG_1149.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_3170.jpg
    IMG_3170.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_5729.jpg
    IMG_5729.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 78
Had similar issue with our Kearney Trecker 2H. Different coolant return system, but on ours the interchange between the table and the saddle was plugged up with hardened fine swarf (oil reservoir not used in recent years). There's a sliding piece between the table and saddle that had to be removed and cleaned out. Other than that, a few well positioned blasts of air was enough to "roto-router" the system.

IMO they design'ed these systems to return the volume of oil being put out by the pump, but there is zero leeway for chips building up in the screens. That in they expect your chips to be nice and big. lots of small fines clog the system faster.

Back