What's new
What's new

Older LeBlonde Dual-Drive on CL

shaggy

Hot Rolled
This beauty just turned up for sale not far from me:

00I0I_hK4aq8dIV4k_0kE0fu_1200x900.jpg

I think it's a 15" x 54" and is around 8-1/2' OAL - unfortunately, borderline size for my shop.
So far I just have the one picture. The guy doesn't know much about it, but from what he told me of it's origins, it's probably as well-maintained and clean as it looks. May have a bunch of tooling, he has 'about 5 boxes of stuff' that came with it. $4000 asking price, only just listed and I have first dibs, if it turns out to be a prize (but I suspect the price is at least a little high).

lathes.co.uk shows an LB 'dual drive' in Mk.I and II versions. I guess this is the older one. I'd love to know more about this particular machine (year mfg, etc) and how it stands today in the scheme of things.

Oh, and approx. weight, in case I have to move it :D

-thanks!

Will do, thanks Rob.

(update) I'll keep looking, but I haven't yet found anything particularly relevant to my main question, e.g:

Are there any particular issues or things to be aware of when looking to buy one of these machines?

--thanks

Last edited:
Here is one down here that is half the drive to LA. Smaller and cheaper clausing:
LATHE - tools - by owner - sale

Text of add:

Clausing lathe, 6 feet long, 12" swing, comes with two 3-jaw chucks, and one 4-jaw chuck.

Runs and works fine, has an oil leak--needs some TLC, but is all there.

I have a forklift and can load it onto a truck easily.

$2500 OBO

Thanks Rob. Looks reasonable, even somewhat more practical for my actual needs, if I'm honest with myself. Unfortunately, in the obsession with old machinery, practicality ain't as big a priority as it should be :D

PS - If I can find a sane moment to properly consider it, I might actually be interested :)

Last edited:
Thanks John.
Would I be wrong in thinking that this is a pretty old school type of machine, somewhat 'post-war' in design, as opposed to more 'advanced' designs of the later 50s?

Thanks John.
Would I be wrong in thinking that this is a pretty old school type of machine, somewhat 'post-war' design, as opposed to certain more evolved machines of the later 50s?

Depends on your outlook. I was 11 when it was new.

No, its not a servo shift or anything like that. And they can be a real PITA when they decide not to go anymore

Probably harder to get parts for it than something 20 years later

As far as being "modern" or not "old school", how modern can an engine lathe be? The very latest mostly do the same things engine lathes have always done

Look up that brochure at VM and see how fast it goes - then you'll know more about how "modern" it is - as to suitability for carbide cutting tools - if that was a concern

All of them then had comparatively small spindle bores, so if that is a problem, don't consider any of them this age

Yeah, I guess those are the sort of improvements I meant - larger spindle bores, beefier beds, wider heavier saddles, huge tailstocks; higher spindle speeds, precision gearing, improved speed change and drive systems.

I know there were cutting-edge machines in the 1940s, but I'm guessing the DD wasn't in, say, the American Pacemaker high-production category.

I must say I like the similar little art deco touches :) Also, I just noticed this DD has a taper attachment, though, apart from that it doesn't scream 'toolroom'. I'm guessing it was meant as a standard production lathe.

Anyway, it's an interesting machine to me, and something that doesn't come up all that often in my area.

The best thing about that leblond is it is close to you and already on a skid for easy loading and unloading. Did you look at it yet to see what is in the "5 boxes of stuff"?

The best thing about that leblond is it is close to you and already on a skid for easy loading and unloading. Did you look at it yet to see what is in the "5 boxes of stuff"?

Yeah, I know, he's got it all ready to be gotten outta there quick-smart. I haven't committed to going down for a look yet, but I am curious what's in the boxes.
I'm afraid I won't have the will to resist, and unfortunately the machine is a couple feet longer than I can fit in the shop. I don't wanna end up sleeping under my new lathe out on the sidewalk :D

I bought my 1954 high-mileage DD back in 2011 for $1600. It gets used for production work regularly with no trouble. Runs insert tooling exclusively. Top speed is 1800 rpm. Never stalled it. Work holding fails before lathe runs out of power. You can take a pretty heavy cut with just 3 hp.

I like how Leblond lathes have the compound tool post slot parallel to the carriage ways when set over at 30 degrees. However, I don't like how you have to stop the spindle to change feed direction. I would rather have that selector on the apron instead of the headstock. The steady rest that came with it is flimsy.

I turn mostly 1144 SP and 4140 PHT.

Bill

John, there's just something about nice big lathes like that. I might just have to get a bigger workshop!

John, there's just something about nice big lathes like that. I might just have to get a bigger workshop!

The Heavys go way back, like this 1917 that was for sale a few years back in NW Georgia - and what it looked like before the fancy head stock sheet metal

FP DR LeBlond 1917 A.jpgFP DR LeBlond 1917 B.jpgFP DR LeBlond 1917 C.jpgleblond_1917a.jpg

Jeezuz, you could lose a limb on that (and back in 1917 nobody would even have noticed).

I like that cute little bench lathe in the catalog drawing :)

Back