What's new
What's new

Out-of-Storage Day: Kearney Treaker 2H Plain

M.B. Naegle

Diamond
This was my Christmas to myself this year. I finally got one of our horizontals on the floor at our new shop.
This is a Kearney Trecker 2H Plain that we aquired with our 2006 shop merger. Its been in the warehouse awaiting floor space to run since then. Since we started up our new shop in Conroe TX, I've had a patch of floor slated for a horizontal, and this weekend, got it moved. I had originally planned on seting up our Cincinatti 2L and the Kearney Trecker was going to go in my garage at home, but beings as the Cincinnati is smaller, has a single phase motor, and might have a spindle bearing problem, I switched plans.

I've run this mill a few times via extension cord and can't find any real problems other than needing oil, new sight glasses, belts, etc.

20161230_135718.jpg
20161230_135734.jpg

Got it strapped down in Yoakum on friday, and had it on the floor in Conroe that night. Today I did some oiling, assembly, and assesment.

1483231161983-1902322708.jpg
14832312296161961251543.jpg

I had that very same machine and absolutely loved it. It was fitted with the vertical head attachment and could do anything..all axis powered was heaven. Sold it when I left my shop..but it's still there, maybe I'll buy it back.:)

Stuart

At the old shop, I made regular use of the Cincinnati. Any mill job I could do that didn't involve drilling or tapping I did on "Cindy". The rapids are sooo handy and feeds across all axis' mean I can multi-task. In that regard, I consider having a good horizontal on the floor just as productive as a general purpose CNC. But I'm a little biased ;).

We've still got the old Induma horizontal in storage. After getting the wiring straightened out, I unfortinatly found some nasty problems in the knee (jerky or nonexistant movement, and bad oil leaks). Other than being a quality built machine, it has a vertical head and overarm stabilizer, which I don't have for the K&T. If I could get my hands on them, I think I'm going to cut the Induma loose to someone who wants a project :(.

They can be projects.... I spent about 5 weeks working on the knee transmission on my B&S #2 Heavy.. Thread is here... After that exercise I feel like I'm one of the world's leading authorities ( still living) on the inner workings of a B&S #2 knee!

I was lucky that my mill came very well equipped with vertical head, both overarm supports and braces, universal table and geared indexer... Only thing I've had to track down was a tail stock for it :) It was used in Abom79's shop in florida, made it's way to Nathan's in Dallas and then here...

That is a handy mill to have. But i have trailer envy. Short double axle. what's the load rating?
John

I'd have to check but I think up to 8000lbs. We bought it for moving crated machinery and specifically wanted it to be too short to move a car, in hopes it would detur people wanting to borrow it. Lol

A little more progress this evening. One of the pins which the motor tensioning plate hinges on was out of place allowing the motor to knock around when running. Judging by the dried oil which had glued the pin to the bottom of the cabinet, its been run this way for awhile. New belts are on order too.

One other issue I found: the trip dogs for the longitudinal travel had to be shimmed out quite a ways for them to disengage the feed. They don't look nearly as wore as the amount of shims built them back out however. Is there a way to adjust the sensitivity of the feed lever, or is shimming these out common practice?

I was missing a couple shoulder screws for the z axis way wipers. I got new screws and wave washers from Mcmaster car (item numbers 91829A575, and 9715K62). The wiper design is kinda neat to me. As you can see in the picture, its a thick brass plate with a flange on the outside edge and wire springs on top to keep it pressed against the way. It had a couple allen screws in place of the missing shoulder screws, but without the shoulder and wave washer, the plate couldn't be held firmly in place and still float across the way.
148375262040928087074.jpg
I also got 10 gallons of fresh oil for the mill. It's only taken in about 5 gallons between all the resevoirs, but we needed some for other machines in the shop. It's Mobil DTE 26 heavy/medium hydraulic fluid and came at a decent price through Zoro.com. Best part is it came fast (next day or 2 day. Can't remember when exactly I ordered it) for free! No hazmat fee or anything.
1483752975894-253835892.jpg

1483754110353-1902322708.jpg
14837541533891995879496.jpg
New sight glasses also came in via Mcmaster Carr (#8477K24). The old ones had been replaced with thin plastic discs. The rubber seals were still good though, I just had to play with the seal thickness to account for the thicker glass.
14837543525721961251543.jpg
Someone took the time to rivet a shim onto the Z axis gib. Its a little nicer than gluing it I guess.

1484075468157-1743091291.jpg
1484075517685-330418652.jpg
Ran first operation last night and this morning. I needed some 5/8 square blanks for a job but only had 1" square. So took a pass off each side with a small plain cutter. There's still a few things to fix on the mill, but its making parts:cloud9:.

The cutter in the picture is for the next op. I need to cut a forked bracket out of a solid piece, but before that I'll use the same cutter to true up the ends of the aluminum blanks.

Mill's still running good. A few issues to report:

There is about 1/4" side to side play in the flywheel/clutch assembly. Not enough to keep it from working but enough to deffinantly be addressed when the spindle gearbox comes appart someday. The Induma and Cincinatti horizontals have a spindle brake and apparently this one doesn't, but it would seem people really tried to pretend it did (my guess:wrong:).

The coolant pump only puts out a trickle. I had it out to clean and it looks like its been hacked together a few times. Might try to rebuild it but I'll be on the lookout for a replacement.

The arbor support bearing is very wore out. It already has a spacer to let it pull further into the casting. Does anyone have a print or specs on the original?
1486179376619-1743091291.jpg
At the very least, what is the correct bearing spacer OD suposed to be? Mine are in the 2 1/8" ball park but none are exactly the same and readjusting the bearing to fit each arbor seems wrong.

Anyone want to trade?

On a different note, I have two arbors, a 1" and a 1.5" diameter, that are a bit long for this or any of our horizontals (roughly 26" of spacers). If anone has a larger machine that could use that much shaft and would like to trade me for a couple shorter ones, I'm open.

I doubt we'll be doing much gang cutting, so anything 20" or shorter would interest me. I'll need to check these for straightness... the larger one needs more spacers.

1486180121927-330418652.jpg
1486180166927-1613073037.jpg

For a 2H with #50 spindle the bearing is 2-1/8" if the machine had a #40 taper the bearing would be 1-7/8". For either the max arbor length is 24" long.

nmtb 50 Arbors?

Do you only have the one arbor support?

My B&s #2 has an inner and outer support. I keep two different slab mills on mine, saves setup time.
Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Yes they are 50 taper. Unfortinatly I've only got the one support pictured. Others are on the long list of wish-list items :crazy:. I could really use an A style support as I have a few nippled arbors (I always get A and B confused though. The support with a through bearing is a B correct?) I could see setting up multiple cutters between multiple supports as a handy set-up. A majority of the jobs I do on the horizontals involve simple plaining and squaring up ops like the one pictured so while it's keeping itself preocupied, I can be at the Bridgeport drilling holes and such.

For a 2H with #50 spindle the bearing is 2-1/8" if the machine had a #40 taper the bearing would be 1-7/8". For either the max arbor length is 24" long.

Thanks! I found a cored bronze drop that will be perfect for a new bearing once I can reverse engineer the outside dimensions. I'm not overly fond of cleaning brass out of the cnc lathe especially for a one-off, so this might be a good excuse to get the taper attachment up to speed on the Southbend.... or get my Hendey up an running:D.

Back