What's new
What's new

Powerturn apron feeds, not sure this is right...

M.Latham

Aluminum
Guys,

The new Lodge and Shipley is working out great, cant believe how stout this thing is!

The problem I'm having is when I activate the power feeding for either cross-slide or longitudinal travel, there is a 2 or so second delay before any movement. Not sure if this is a problem, thought maybe the clutch was out of adjustment, but after reading the manual.... I'm not so sure.

Anybody experience this before? Is it a problem I should be worried about? Ideas?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Mark

Thats just it, keyway seems normal. Apron "delays" no matter where along the feed rod it is. From the area I would expect it to be most worn to the least worn areas.

Could it be a clutch adjustment?

I have not yet looked at the keys in bevel gearing on the rod, will report back when I get a chance.

The problem I'm having is when I activate the power feeding for either cross-slide or longitudinal travel, there is a 2 or so second delay before any movement. Not sure if this is a problem, thought maybe the clutch was out of adjustment, but after reading the manual.... I'm not so sure.

The Powerturn lathe does not use a friction clutch for the feeds.There is a tooth type clutch instead. When the clutch is engaged there may be a delay in motion as the teeth drop into position. I do not have direct knowledge of this. Many years ago I asked in this forum if the tooth type clutch would cause the carriage to jump when the feed was engaged. The response was that there is no jump upon engagement. There is however a delay of the motion.

Robert

Sounds normal as the slack in everything is taken up before it starts moving. Every bit of clearance in the headstock gear train, QC box, apron gearing and bed rack gearing is having to load up when you hit the lever. If you will pull the handwheel to where it has no slack before engaging feed, it will start moving sooner.

Guys,

Thank for all the help, I did check the keys as best I could with a flash light. All seems normal.

I'm glad its a "not a problem", problem.

Mark

Back