What's new
What's new

Powerturn Headstock Oil

Ja_cain

Cast Iron
What is the preferred lubricant for the headstock of a 1610? Pre sure ISO 46 is what's called for, but would ISO 68 be ok? Thanks in advance for any info!

Justin

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Kind of depends - Model X predecessor had 1160 , 1740 and 2000 top end options - if yours is 2000 the heaviest I would use would be DTE Light (ISO 32)

If you really want 68 just be aware there will be heating in extended use of the higher speeds

Last edited:
Kind of depends - Model X predecessor had 1160 , 1740 and 2000 top end options - if yours is 2000 the heaviestI would use would be DTE Light (ISO 32)

If you really want 68 just be aware there will be heating in extended use of the higher speeds
Thanks! At a tractor supply and all they have is 46. Might just throw that in there and then swap it out later.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

The manual for Powerturns calls for DTE Medium or equivalent, about ISO 46 I believe. It doesn’t make a differentiation between spindle speed versions, but what John says makes sense if you are going to run the top speeds day in and day out.

Though, looking back, the manual gives an oil range from 150-275 Sec. Saybolt at 100F

I think this wide range covers both ISO 32 and 46 at either end (if I am converting correctly). I would guess the manufacturer probably expected the user to monitor spindle temperatures or contact them to determine the oil choice according to normal end usage. Sort of like adjusting spindle bearings.

I think you are right

Mobil Brief Product Descriptions says 32 is 157.5, 46 is 227

Though, looking back, the manual gives an oil range from 150-275 Sec. Saybolt at 100F

I think this wide range covers both ISO 32 and 46 at either end (if I am converting correctly). I would guess the manufacturer probably expected the user to monitor spindle temperatures or contact them to determine the oil choice according to normal end usage. Sort of like adjusting spindle bearings.

Back