Pratt and Whitney Model B 12x30 Headstock question - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

They are out there - not a lot, but some. This requires some work to make the D1-5" back plate fit the chuck. From the price, I would assume this is Chinese

8" 3-Jaw D1-5 Cam-Lock Lathe Chucks | eBay

Not that three jaws are very good at "self centering"

A really good BISON will cost several times that much

Here is an older pub - your 12" B is a WW2 stop gap developed from the 13 B - which originated in the 1920s

http://pounceatron.dreamhosters.com/...athes-1936.pdf

have fun

Quote Originally Posted by kimberzelik View Post
    I am new to machining I have owned a harbor freight many lathe for two years and been teaching myself via YouTube videos. I just purchased a Pratt and Whitney 12 X 30 -B.
    It has no chuck. through the little bit of research I was able to do I determined I need a D 1-5. That might as well be Chinese writing because it means nothing to me if I wanted to buy a chuck for this lathe, what would I ask for ? What would I type in a search window. I am also interested in a collet closure and I imagine the information in the search would be the same. I also need a few accessories Steady rest, follow rest QCTP(size)?
    If I was successful in my homework I determined the B lathes Were produced between 1942 to 1947.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I too have just collected a b type 12x30. It has sat in the uk in a barn for 30yrs, untouched. I've not yet run it, but I know the single tooth dogclutches need sorting as it jumps out. I'll be testing it shortly, but it's complete and undamaged and cheaper than scrap. Anyone know what's required to lift the hesddtock and sort the dogs? Ian

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Vermont
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I believe you can get to the reverse dog without lifting the headstock, the forward you do have to lift it. There are a handful of threads here on that subject.

Travis

Post Thanks / Like

In the 20" the reverse gear ( G10-20-59 ) is OUTSIDE rear of head stock. Forward gear is inside underneath spindle

Scan from Parts book

image5.jpg

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you both. I'd found the diagram and have seen some threads, but nothing specifically about any tricks, issues or the location for the fasteners.
    The headstock seems broadly similar, although mine is on roller bearing with a camlock. I'm sure I can work it out myself, but experience is always valueable!
    Ian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ir9074 View Post
    Thank you both. I'd found the diagram and have seen some threads, but nothing specifically about any tricks, issues or the location for the fasteners.
    The headstock seems broadly similar, although mine is on roller bearing with a camlock. I'm sure I can work it out myself, but experience is always valueable!
    Ian
    Finally got around to scanning the 12 B brochure. All these were built circa 42 to '47 at the new West Hartford plant on New Park Ave as a ww2 stop gap. They were essentially an improved version of the 1920ish 13" Model B - which can be seen in the link above in Post #21.

This can be emailed at a bit over 1 MB if you care to private message me that address

pw-12-b-brochure_01.jpg

Where they were built

USA Heavy Iron Disappearance

have fun
    Last edited by johnoder; 09-25-2021 at 01:15 PM.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by johnoder View Post
    Finally got around to scanning the 12 B brochure. All these were built circa 42 to '47 at the new West Hartford plant on New Park Ave as a ww2 stop gap. They were essentially an improved version of the 1920ish 13" Model B - which can be seen in the link above in Post #21.

This can be emailed at a bit over 1 MB if you care to private message me that address

pw-12-b-brochure_01.jpg

Where they were built

USA Heavy Iron Disappearance

have fun
    I'd be very grateful of that brochure, although I've no idea how to do a p.m.....
    Ian

Post Thanks / Like

I'd be very grateful of that brochure, although I've no idea how to do a p.m.....
    Ian

Click on my user name (which is upper left) and proceed along with a message - including an email address
    Last edited by johnoder; 09-26-2021 at 06:21 AM.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've tried this and can't see any option to send a message.

Post Thanks / Like

I've tried this and can't see any option to send a message.

I emailed you - through the forum - reply to that and I'll have your email address - at which time I can reply and attach brochure scan

(nothing can be attached to an email sent through the forum)

On Edit:

Brochure scan emailed this AM
    Last edited by johnoder; 09-26-2021 at 08:50 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ir9074

I have a write up on how to lift the headstock to fix the clutches on the Model B. I can easily send it to you if you PM your E-Mail.

It doesn't look a particularly difficult procedure given directions. Usual do it carefully step by step methods. Hardest part is probably lifting the headstock off. Crane time I think. I have overhead lifting gear rated to handle the lathe itself so no problem for me if I ever have to get in there.

If you don't have direct overhead lift capability seriously consider making something up with a rail above the headstock to lift from. Something soft fixed to the bed to hold up one end and scaffold pole/ 4x2 or whatever for the outboard end. Reinstalling a heavy headstock when lighting from the side is a truly miserable experience!

Clutch itself is a simple angled face dog pushed into the gear.

I think I've hoovered up pretty much everything on the B that can be found on the open internet.

I'm in the UK too. If you are within range of Sussex can provide some practical help if need be.

Clive

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Clive. I've now got the brochure, but I still have no option to pm anyone. I've takenmphotos to add, but can't do that either. I'd really appreciate those instructions! Can you pm me?
    Ian

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's machine no. 1014. I wonder what year it is? I'll try the reverse clutch first. I'm also missing the shaft and small gears that link the feed reverse shaft to the shaft entering the headstock. It's about 4 inches long and traverse the top of the gesrbox. A pic would be great!
    Thank you.
    Ian

Post Thanks / Like

It's machine no. 1014. I wonder what year it is?
    Early one. Serial book only gives two serials for the 12 B - 1521 for 1942 and 2200 for 1947

Maybe 1200 all up before they quit

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks, so I'm guessing late 30s? As for lifting, I'm good. My engine crane easily lifts the whole lathe at full reach! I'll try running her first to check all is good.
    Faults forvfar are the dogclutches and a seized sliding pinion in the Norton gearbox. The lever pivots up and down, hut the pinion is seized on the shaft meaning it won't slide to engage other pitches. Easily sorted, I think...
    Ian

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mine is number 1132 which, I think, we agreed was made sometime around late 1941 - early 42. As I recall things the major British WW2 machine tool deliveries from the USA got properly going from mid 1941.

Judging by mine and comments elsewhere sliding pinion in the Norton gearbox is always a bit stiff to move. Certainly mine is frequently reluctant to get started despite plenty of oil. When going it moves fine but is draggy.

Clive

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Clive, can you pm me so ee can make direct contact? I'd really like the guide you mentioned.. thanks. Ian

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ian

PM sent. Hopefully works this time.

Clive

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No, it didn't! This is a different address I have, which is more reliable: [email protected]
    Thank you!
    Ian

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I ended up buying an EXTRA to my needs
    NM0214B13 intermediate spindle bearing.
    Contact me if you need one. $300.