What's new
What's new

Pratt & Whitney model C coolant pump diagram/blueprint

maynah

Stainless
I recently picked up a P&W model C 12x30 lathe and this paperwork was in the side pump wiring compartment.
It's marked for the 14 and 16 inch lathes and dated FEB 1 1951. I don't know if the 12" is the same or not.
There are also some hand drawn diagrams in there as well so maybe it's not the same.
But it may help someone, so here it is.
The two white papers are getting very faded but could probably be read if needed.
The second to the last is for the push pull selector.
The pump is a Brown & Sharpe 3 ph 1/4 hp.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Your lathe wouldn't happen to have the taper attachment to it, would it? If so, could I ask for a couple pics - I have most of the parts but one and I need to probably make one so looking for a visual

Your lathe wouldn't happen to have the taper attachment to it, would it? If so, could I ask for a couple pics - I have most of the parts but one and I need to probably make one so looking for a visual

There are plain and ball bearing - and older / newer versions - serial number will be on a riveted on tag on face of bed casting nearer tail stock.

Manuals can be emailed if you care to Private Message me that address

Hey John, would you be kind enough to tell me what year my lathe is?
I think it's pretty early. Do any/all Model C's have hardened beds?
It has spent the last few years outside under a tarp so it needs some love.
I haven't taken it out my truck yet. I'll do that this weekend.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I'm working on an early Model C that was made in late 1941. It does not have a hardened bed which I will be scraping this winter if all goes to plan. Here's a couple pics of the TA when I was removing it; it's plain model, no bearings. Dscf7624.jpgDSCF7625.jpg

656. John ran it for late 1941 so although it was a Navy machine it's pre-war. lol

20191005_134442.jpg

Now I'm not sure about mine. Yours has a cast info plate and mine isn't. My number has a hyphen and yours doesn't.

And of course yours is a 14" and mine is a 12".

Be happy to if you provide a serial number - found on a riveted on tag face of bed nearer tail stock end - which is the only location I have ever seen - though the parts book states that it was also stamped on the bed, I just never noticed on my 12"

12" serials run from 125 in 1941 to 27363 in 1961 - none with hyphens

Pictures also do wonders - like the oldies (first 16 from 1935) had SLOPING head stocks to make them SIMILAR in appearance to the Model B - clever those old Yankee sales staffs

My '50 12" had hard ways. This was I believe a flame hardening effort - definitely not separate pieces. Kind of easy to tell - they were GROUND and never scraped

Here is a '48 - the SLOPE on the head stock has disappeared

From 1948 Backgrounds.jpg

Here is a scan of the serial page

20201107_165240.jpg

Hey John, would you be kind enough to tell me what year my lathe is?
I think it's pretty early. Do any/all Model C's have hardened beds?
It has spent the last few years outside under a tarp so it needs some love.
I haven't taken it out my truck yet. I'll do that this weekend.

attachment.php

attachment.php

The hyphenated number is all I see. That's the only tag I have on the tail stock end.
Here's a picture as it sat in storage. I spent the day cleaning my barn and it still sits in my truck under a tarp.

attachment.php

What picture? When you add pics, after you've chosen the file, you have to click the "upload file". It doesn't look like a link, but if you hover over it you can it is.

You're not seeing any of the pictures I've posted? Any of the blueprints? I see them attached on my computer.

How about some thumbnails?
You should see them below.

Attachments

• DSCN00511.jpg
    DSCN00511.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_5624.jpg
    IMG_5624.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 19
You're not seeing any of the pictures I've posted? Any of the blueprints? I see them attached on my computer.

Zero pictures maynah

Instructions here may be helpful?

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...res-south-bend-forum-372508/?highlight=photos

have fun

! I see you had success!

I'll guess this was the 251st made or rebuilt by a contractor to P&W - then the 617 would be 1949 (?) - or maybe they were just saying how many 12" they had made since getting going during the war?

Its has the same general shape as my '50

John, or anyone, are you seeing my full size pictures at the start of the thread like the blueprint, or only the thumb nails?

I've been posting pictures from my first post. I've been using Internet Explorer and as its being phased out it works on less and less sites. So I'm going to repost the blue print photo with Chrome and let me know if you can see it. I can see them all on my end, even on IE.
You should see it below.

attachment.php

No picture - at least not yet. It isn't necessary to ask - any one replying with a quote will show you the photos you posted:D - if there were any

I've been posting pictures from my first post. I've been using Internet Explorer and as its being phased out it works on less and less sites. So I'm going to repost the blue print photo with Chrome and let me know if you can see it. I can see them all on my end, even on IE.
You should see it below.

attachment.php

For some reason only my thumbnails show, so to make this thread coherent here they are.

Attachments

• IMG_5650.jpg
    IMG_5650.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5651.jpg
    IMG_5651.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5652.jpg
    IMG_5652.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5655.jpg
    IMG_5655.jpg