What's new
What's new

Pratt whitney model c lathe

Thewoodshoppe

Plastic
So, I was chasing a suspect through the desert and saw a old lathe sitting in a fenced yard in the middle of nowhere. I asked around and found the owner. He said 25 bucks and it's yours. Long story short, I am now proud owner of a pratt and whitney model c lathe 16x54. I do own a conehead pratt whitney along with what I believe is cals van norman 1/2(and many more). Serial number shows m1696-21093, any idea what year that is? I was thinking 1953? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20191106_102957.jpg
    20191106_102957.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 408
  • 20191109_124605.jpg
    20191109_124605.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 271
  • 20191107_115425.jpg
    20191107_115425.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 224
  • 20191105_120659.jpg
    20191105_120659.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 247
  • 20191105_120657.jpg
    20191105_120657.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 245
It is very sad to see someone just leave this lathe in the weather. The rust seems to be more of a patina on the ways. I'm hoping it cleans up ok. I check the oil reservoirs and water is in the apron and the quick change gearbox.but the head is water free.
The reverse lever is stuck and I cant move the saddle. I'm thinking its related. The spindle turns free and smooth even when its turning the motor.

Might be the half nut lever is engaged - its the one on the right sticking straight up with the black knob

The half nut lever moves and yes I disengaged it before trying to move it. I'll take some photographs of the water damage in the reservoirs and hopefully remove the apron cover. Thanks for the suggestion.

We have a similar lathe, I think a “b” size. Fantastic little machine, I love it. Ours came from a pole barn type of storage, so no direct rain but humidity definitely gave it a solid layer of rust similar to yours. It all cleaned up perfectly. Also I don’t think the ways are hardened so be wary of any aggressive abrasives for rust removal. Good luck cleaning it up!

Thanks for the suggestion I'm hoping the ways clean up nice, I have a 1953 brochure that states it is hardened but regardless I'm going to avoid abrasive rust removal techniques. Any experiance with evapo rust? It's not acid so hoping it will do well. Here is a picture of the v up close.

Attachments

• 20191107_120701.jpg
    20191107_120701.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 136
Thanks for the suggestion I'm hoping the ways clean up nice, I have a 1953 brochure that states it is hardened but regardless I'm going to avoid abrasive rust removal techniques. Any experiance with evapo rust? It's not acid so hoping it will do well. Here is a picture of the v up close.

They are hard (and ground) but not steel - so maybe the "push it off scheme" still works. Anything from a single edge razor blade to a semi dull way scraper. Thumbnails on such cast iron ways that sat out for years

Attachments

• DCP_1317.jpg
    DCP_1317.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 96
  • DCP_1289.jpg
    DCP_1289.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 108
They are hard (and ground) but not steel - so maybe the "push it off scheme" still works. Anything from a single edge razor blade to a semi dull way scraper. Thumbnails on such cast iron ways that sat out for years

Thanks! I do have a dull scraper. I'll try that technique later today probably. Those ways cleaned up nice.

I've had success with derusting large pieces with evapo rust by covering the areawith paper towels, soaking with the evapo rust then covering with plastic sheet. Occasionally lifting the sheet to rewet the towels.

Here is the water damage in the feed mechanism. Also do I need all this electrical components if I run a vfd ?

Attachments

• 20191111_084432.jpg
    20191111_084432.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 148
  • 20191111_093819.jpg
    20191111_093819.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 143
  • 20191111_093826.jpg
    20191111_093826.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 149
Here is the water damage in the feed mechanism. Also do I need all this electrical components if I run a vfd ?

Unless you replace the motor with a modern "inverter duty" one, I would not even consider a VFD. The lathe doesn't NEED it to provide useful RPM.

An RPC will do yah with less overall work.

Anything electrical AT ALL as hasn't survived is far more easily replaced than anything Cast Iron.

Electrons don't give a damn about brand-name, "period correct", size. shape, nor even if goods are mounted in the original location or a cabinet several feet way. So long as the equivalent ratings, routing, and functionality can be provided, they JF do as they are commanded to do.

Thanks for the info. I will say I use VFD on my other mills and lathes without issue, I don't very the speed on the lathe just use it as a phase converter. I do have an RPC but its across the shop running my VMC. It would cost me more then a VFD to run a cable across the shop and a RPC will cost even more. On another note my carriage moves! I disconnected the feed lever from the apron and now my lever is the only thing stuck on the rod.

I have a thread on a similar condition mill, my main concern at this point is there could be major internal damage being the reason the machine was dragged out into the weather.
I have dealt with rusted machines before, often they can be made useable. I remove rust with a 1/2" wide home made carbide hand scraper, I hand diamond lap the edges, and slightly round the corners of the carbide tip. With that two handed tool, the rust will peel up easily without scratching the original, but now pitted surface. at that point I might use chemicals, or brass brush to get the rust flakes below the surface. The scraper can be used dry, but the dust gets in my eyes, so I often use penetrating oil, but hot soapy water will get through the rust really good and the rust removal goes faster.
I should have a rusty mill in my drive way soon, I am thinking maybe 100hrs of time to get it going, better then whats on TV!

Thank you for the information. I have started to gently use my scraper and remove the majority of the rust from there I will try some evapo rust on non critical parts to see its effect. When I spoke to the previous owner he stated the lathe was bought at auction in Phoenix and was running. He didnt have time to set it up and eventually dumped it in the desert. I have been checking the lathe and dont see any major damage
Even the ways show low usage. Another thing is I'm having trouble removing the apron cover. I did find another thread with a lot of useful information on it but even still I cant get it to move.

Page 22 in parts book I sent is start of apron stuff. Note both apron clutches have nuts on rear. Seems for certain they would hold on front cover?

Suggests front does not come off until apron assy is on work bench where you can access those fasteners

Thank you for the information. I have started to gently use my scraper and remove the majority of the rust from there I will try some evapo rust on non critical parts to see its effect. When I spoke to the previous owner he stated the lathe was bought at auction in Phoenix and was running. He didnt have time to set it up and eventually dumped it in the desert. I have been checking the lathe and dont see any major damage
Even the ways show low usage. Another thing is I'm having trouble removing the apron cover. I did find another thread with a lot of useful information on it but even still I cant get it to move.

I got the apron cover off! It does come off while on the carriage. My dial indicator and the two rods that appear to link the two feed handles were hanging up. I removed the feed dial and once I had the cover spaced about 3/8 inch off, I punched the two rods through. Also, I disassembled the quick change gear box most of the way. The gear box has a removable rear section that helps a lot with disassembly.

Attachments

• 20191115_134525.jpg
    20191115_134525.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 119
  • 20191115_134540.jpg
    20191115_134540.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 136

Back