Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

my technique for surface rust on ways is a single edge razor blade, a hard Arkansas stone (or a piece of 1000 grit wet or dry) to polish and dress the blade. soften it up with light oil, dress blade to polish off any burrs that would scratch, and redress it often and as soon as any scoring or scratching is felt or observed.
    done carefully at just the right angle you only remove the rust without scratching the ways.

I would avoid chemicals or abrasives on cast iron ways, except light dressing with a fine stone after the above.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the suggestion. I did test with the evapo rust and only will use it on items I can submerge completely. It does work well when fully emerged but leaves residue when left too long or in open air. I have started to use the scraper and I'm having good results with it. I will use a stone to keep it sharp as you suggested. I know its premature but I had my son machine a chuck key with me. My excuse was I needed it to clean the chuck haha. Anyways, I wanted to say I've been reading this forum for many years and it has given me more knowledge then I get anywhere else. So thank you to everyone who post on this forum.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20191117_115241.jpg  

3. Likes cyanidekid, TheOldCar liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Thewoodshoppe View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion. I did test with the evapo rust and only will use it on items I can submerge completely.
    AFAIK ALL of the chemical and electrolytic means do "Bad Things" right at any boundary between liquid and air. So yes. FULLY submerged or not at all.

Wise to avoid use on steel springs as well. The reactions seem to exploit atomic-level boundaries and discontinuities in highly stressed (hardened, heat-treated) parts.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Finally back working on the lathe. Got the carriage and apron off along with the lead screw, feed rod and feed clutch rod. Only thing still attached to the quick change gear box is the spindle clutch rod. I had to dremel the flat head bolts holding the carriage to the apron. Afterwards I could get the screw driver deep enough to remove them. Will post photos tomorrow.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well today I got the lathe stripped most of the way. Now time for a deep clean and paint strip. I am absolutely amazed at the complexity of this machine, far beyond my old conehead. Here is a picture of the chuck key my son made with me, along with the electrolysis rust removal bucket I'm using. Another amazing find is the pump inside the quick change gear box still works!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20191123_171741.jpg   20191123_081658.jpg   20191118_175157.jpg  

7. Likes rustytool liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A suggestion would be NOT to strip filler - you will have a bunch a rough castings

9. Likes Thewoodshoppe liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Very good point, I will do my best to avoid that. Thank you .

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ok, I got a question. I know this lathe is designed for one direction for the spindle but why does my control panel have 3 buttons? I can only guess it was wired to run reverse which would be bad. Any ideas ? Also I can clearly tell the toggle switch is for coolant.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails resized_20191110_152246.jpg   resized_20191110_152532.jpg  

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Thewoodshoppe View Post
    Ok, I got a question. I know this lathe is designed for one direction for the spindle but why does my control panel have 3 buttons? I can only guess it was wired to run reverse which would be bad. Any ideas ? Also I can clearly tell the toggle switch is for coolant.
    3rd button might be a "jog" function. Momentarily bumps the spindle so you can get around the chuck or run an indicator around a part.

13. Likes 4GSR liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Never even crossed my mind. Thank you for the insight.

Post Thanks / Like

You could also just look in your electrical cabinet (which on my 1950 12 X 30 was on board inside left end cover)

One mag starter means it does not back up.

A paired/interlocked set of two means it reverses or has a two speed motor

Nothing wrong with monitored reverse operation as long as you are fully aware that the geared oil pump is not lifting oil to distribution plumbing during reverse operation

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you, yes I have 2 mag starters wired together. The motor does not state it is 2 speed only dual voltage. While playing with the rear gear train, if you engage the gear in clutch area(farthest left handle)and run the spindle reverse by hand, it kicks the gear out into neutral. Not sure if it will happen when the gear train is assembled fully.