What's new
What's new

Problem with reverse KT Milwaukee 1H

AbleGear

Plastic
I have a KT Milwaukee 1H horizantal mill. However, I am having a problem with the automatic reverse function. I belive it is something to do with the plunger that the stop depresses to acuate the rapid reverse and spindle stop. Has anyone seen this before? I would appreciate any thoughts before a tear this thing apart.

Well I'm at a total loss here.We have two 1H's here in the shop,both horizontals,one plain and one universal.Both machines have been rebuilt from the bottom up.To the best of my knowledge neither of them have an "automactic reverse function".To reverse the spindle you have to stop it first and then pull the T-shaped handle on the left side of the machine.All the other functions(X,Y,Z) are controlled by their respective levers/hand wheels.Rapid traverse is accomplished by pulling up on the long handle on the right side facing the machine.I might add that our 1H universal is a little tricky about reversing the spindle rotation.Sometimes we have to rock it back and forth to get it to engage CW and CCW.Other than that it's no problem.Never ever try to reverse the spindle while it is turning under power unless you have deep pockets.K&T gears are very EXPENSIVE.

I am sorry. I should have been a little clearer. I was talking about the automatic feed reverse. There was an option on these machines that would reverse the table feed (x axis) and rapid back to the start of the cut. When my 1H gets to that stop, it throws the feed handle but has trouble engaging the rapid traverse.(only when table is moving from right to left. The other direction works fine. Any thoughts??

Thanks
Brian

Again I'm stumped here.We have parts repair catalogs as well all other K&T information on our machines and no where in any of that info is mentioned anything that "would reverse the table feed(x axis) and rapid back to the start of the cut".I may be missing something here.Maybe John Oder could step in here.He probably knows more about these machines than anyone here.I'd be very interested in seeing come good pictures of your machine.Come on John where you at?

Freeman, this feature is called Auto Cycle and was an option on most models. Never actually seen it installed and working on a K&T yet.

I have had this machine for years. The "auto cycle" is a fantastic feature and I have never had any trouble with the machine whatsoever. I know it works hydraulically, but I have no clue where or what to look for.

I'm very familiar with K&T's "auto cycle" type machines sense my partner had a 3CH with this feature.We couldn't use it due to the unavailability of the trip dogs required to make the machine auto cycle.Again none of the information that we have points to a 1H ever having had auto cycle.And yes this feature was operated hydrualically on all the machines having it including the 3CH.Still I know of no K&T 1H's that had this option.It's not discussed at all in any of the information that we have and most of that information came from John Oder.Not saying the machine doesn't exist.Would like to see some good photos out of shear curiousity.I'm not trying to start something here.I would love to have one this size with the auto cycle feature if it exists.And remember we're talking about a 1H which is totally manual by all the info we have.We went through every scrap of info we have and can't find anything on a 1H ever haivng had auto cycle.John come to our resue here!

SSCam1972

Here are some quick snaps of the machine

Freeman
I'm with you ,my 1H is like yours. The pictures must be those 1H's that were production machines. The knee is totally different from yours,mine.

Okay,now I understand.It is a production type machine and yes I do have info on these but failed to make the connection.Since we no longer have the 3CH,It was my partner's and he sold it to another member of the PM site,he might be very inertrested in the trip dog patterns.His PM site handle is (GFS,recently changed to Forrest Silas),I think and he now owns the 3CH we had here.He's on eheck of a nice guy and an avid and accomplished machinist.Now that I know what we're talking about I may offer some thoughts.The 3CH had a simple valve body somewhat like that of an auto transmission,although not nearly as complicated.Able,this might be part of the problem.Over many years of use it,like an auto trans,could have a valve sticking,weak valve spring or even a broken valve spring.I'll look at our production 1H info and see if I can find anything.After looking at the picture of the table again I'm not sure the trip dog patterns would be any good for the 3CH since it has double T-slots on the front of the table and takes a total of nine trip dogs IIRC.

I really apperciate the help on this. I am very good mechanically, but i have little to no experience with hyds. I have a couple books that my father got with the machine years ago but there doesn't seem to be any kind of maitenance of repair manual. Just operation and lubrication.

Thanks again guys!!

The 3CH we had here was like Morris the Cat when it came to clean hydraulic fluid in the knee.Could that possibly be the problem?

I suspected that. I flushed the hyd. system with kerosene and then refilled it with fluid. There doesn't seem to be a sisnificant change. (Although the rest is running a lot better!)

Back