What's new
What's new

Questions about getting my Cincinnati No. 3 Universal Mill running.

Citxmech

Aluminum
Hi all,

I am the proud new owner of a 1946 Cincinnati No. 3 Universal, Medium Speed Dial-Type Milling Machine—Model OM, s/n 2A3U1S-11
At this point, like any equipment new to me, I am going through the machine before using it, verifying what I’ve got, what if anything is missing, if anything to be repaired or adjusted, and replacing all the lubricants.

Questions:

(1) I’ve got the lighter-duty “High Speed” double-swivel universal milling head that hangs off the front of the overarm and takes the smaller NMTB-30 tool holder. I know that the head is not rated for high loads/large tools like face mills, but is there a general guideline somewhere for exactly what this head is rated to handle? The book only says to use “small to medium size cutters.” I’ve got an 8’ long brazed-up rack gear I need to clean-up/re-cut and I’m not sure if this head can safely handle a 90 deg. fly cutter extended far enough to clear the head at 90 deg., or if I should just spring for an end mill and re-cut the rack vertically; and

(2) I need to lubricate the knee elevation screw. I have the proper slide way oil (Sunoco 1190) and will modify a grease gun to deliver the oil to the zerk/reservoir – but I can’t find the capacity of the reservoir anywhere. I don’t want to over-fill and have a big mess under the machine to clean up… Anybody know approximately how much oil to add?

Thanks!

The ones without oilers use Socony Compound no. 9 - Vacuum oil co. or Sun oil C0. table way lubricant S.A.E 90,
This is from a 1942 book from Cincinnati, Replace pipe plug in vertical base nut with grease fitting. Oil pot in the base is below screw. Fill with grease gun, about 10 cu. in. required. Run knee to the bottom of stroke once a day. If using vertical screw feed continuously, coat screw with lubricant once a day, using paint brush.

LOL have at it.
My serial no. book says its a EA, who knows.

If there is oil supply, it will be on either side of the column lower half.

Last edited:
Hey CMike,

Thanks for the reply! That's funny RE the s/n. Ozark Tool Machinery Manuals & Books. said OM (although I could have read it improperly). The mill came with a 1940 manual for the ER models, so yeah, who knows? That book specs P-50 for the knee screw, which Sunoco 1190 way oil meets. I have a zerk on the left side of the knee column, so no automatic oiling. 10 cu/in - sounds good - that's what I was looking for!

What is the difference between all the dial machines? Is it just the speeds?

The company I work for is having a Retirement (going-out-of-business) Sale after 38 years and liquidating their entire machine shop. Lots of SOLID equipment with plenty of life still left in them including this BEAST of a Cincinatti (Lot # 93); they don't make them like this anymore! Know anyone with a need or room to give them a second lease on life? Someone please save it from going to the scrap-yard!
Cinci No3.jpg
CINCINATTI MILLING MACHINE VERTICAL AND HORIZONTAL HEAD NO. 3 SER. ZA3PIZ-76 You must use our Rig

Back