What's new
What's new

Questions about a Van Norman #2 duplex milling machine

hammermech

Plastic
Does anybody have a definitive answer as to what taper the vertical portion this mill uses? Thank you in advance for any information.

Probably an NMTB 50, but that is not a definitive answer, maybe you can give us some clues by taking some measurements?

I see a brochure on Vintage Machiney for a #2 VN mill, not sure if that is the same as a #2 Duplex.

I have seen that brochure also, the duplex is very different. It has both vertical and horizontal functions.Without doing any measurements a #3 morse taper is very close. I am thinking about buying this machine but want to find out as much info as possible before wasting money on something I can't get tooling for or adapt current tooling to.

Given the age of any VN Duplex, the odds are that it has a B&S spindle taper. It is absolutely the case that VN made a given model of mill with different spindle taper for different customers, so there's no absolute guarantee what that particular machine has based solely on the model number. Measure to be sure.

Both the VN #2 we have at Tuckahoe and one owned by one of our volunteers (both post 1912, as for address cast on the door) have a B&S 13 spindle, with adapters for VN C collets (Hardinge 5V). The adapter might be very difficult to remove.

Paolo

Back