What's new
What's new

Questions on a van norman 1RQ and intro

7sharpshooter

Plastic
Picked up a VN 1RQ-3-22 with a 2 axis dro, VN horizontal dividing head for a decent price and going through it found that the table feed motor is gone. The motor plate is on the knee and it is a 1/3 hp 3 phase 1725 rpm but I don't know the pulley diameter and was hoping someone here might know or have a reference somewhere. I checked the yahoo group but there is not much there on the 1rq. Also, any general advice for cleaning up this mill is appreciated. I have a clausing 13 x 36 lathe, a millrite mill, B&S 618 micromaster, jeol scanning electron microscope, 1920's huge screw press, and an 88 lbs self contained pneumatic forging hammer to play with and which I will use to make a rough forging of the overarm support for the 1rq.

I'm busy as that proverbial one legged man this week, but if you will remind me about Thurs of next week, I'll try to get out and check out my 1-R3-22 and get you some motor and pulley specs. Congrats on the 1RQ... those are rare beyond measure.

Thanks mike. I tried to calculate the pulley size by setting the table feed on the highest setting, and turning the pulley that is driven by the motor and measured the table movement per Rev and came up with 0.025 per rev. This was at the 17 inches per minute setting. I came up with a diameter of 1.25" which turns out to be the same size that the knee motor pulley is. Do you know if the knee belt and table feed belt are the same size? Gates225L100

The original overarm was aluminum.

Bet the motor was made by associated electro mechanics. Right around the corner from the VN plant. I know the motors came from Springfield. Might try emailing them and see if they have a record. Or any info (better yet pics of the old plant) at all. Not much VN info remains.

My grandmother worked the line at Bosch two doors down from the VN plant during the war.

Was it the one in the San Diego auction?
Nice catch
Ron

Yes, and it was interesting getting it onto my trailer. He manual says to use a sling in a figure 8 around the knee and back of ram but it was still very front heavy. So I ended up having them lift from under the bottom and get it into the trailer but not lower it and then I used a come along to get it to the proper spot in the trailer. Got home and used a OTC large cherry picker with a 4400 lbs capacity to get it off the trailer and into the garage. I was completely exhausted at the end of that day. But slowly going over everything I readily see how this is truly a special mill and was well worth the physical effort to get it home.

Finally had a chance to get out and pull the front cover. Mine may not be the same, because it is a weird one... metric leadscrews and feed box. That said, motor pulley looks to be about 1 1/4" across the outer flats, couldn't get an exact measurement without pulling it off the shaft, but the outer shield flange is 1.375 and it was the thickness of the belt past the pulley. Gearbox pulley was 3.320 across the outer flats, no shield on that one.

Motor is a Delco 1/5hp, 1750rpm, 58 frame. Plate pic attached. Sorry it's upside down, but that's how I had to take it, lol. Motor is accessible under the knee.

Attachments

• 20160717_204702.jpg
    20160717_204702.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 130
Yes, and it was interesting getting it onto my trailer. He manual says to use a sling in a figure 8 around the knee and back of ram but it was still very front heavy. So I ended up having them lift from under the bottom and get it into the trailer but not lower it and then I used a come along to get it to the proper spot in the trailer. Got home and used a OTC large cherry picker with a 4400 lbs capacity to get it off the trailer and into the garage. I was completely exhausted at the end of that day. But slowly going over everything I readily see how this is truly a special mill and was well worth the physical effort to get it home.

I think you got a deal on the Mill. It looked to be a nice one to me.
I got the Abene that was there. Rigger was kind of costly and the place was a pain to load out being next to the Red line tracks on a really busy street.
I cant figure what the deal is with the machines at the sale? I haven't had time to do anything with the Abene but it looks like it was hardly ever used. Im really looking forward to getting it powered up.

Ron

I'm new to the PM forum. joined because I'm looking for information on Van Norman 1RQ. bought one about a year ago and am just now getting it set up in my new shop. Do you still have yours? I'd like to ask you a couple questions if you do.

I'm the guy with the non-Q 1R, but I have a 2RQ on my trailer that I'm hoping to get in the shop this summer when the ground dries out. Whatcha need to know? I'll help if I can.

Back