What's new
What's new

What would you do: '54 Sidney 20" for cheap

dbeaman

Aluminum
I recently came across a '54 Sidney 20x54 for really cheap, or at least what I think is really cheap. Guy is asking 800, I think I could probably get it for 600. The carriage ways are in amazing shape (tailstock ways look a little worse for the wear), all the speeds and feeds work, except one feed position won't engage. Someone unfortunately cut out the stock chip pan and put in another giant piece of sheetmetal in its place. It does not come with a follow rest, steady rest, or taper attachment, these things would be hard to find if they were needed. It does come with a 10" 3 jaw pratt b. chuck, a 20" 4 jaw (old, needs cleaning) a 20" face plate, a 14" old 3 jaw, a Newall DRO and an Aloris CXA toolpost with five holders. It has herringbone gears and runs ridiculously quiet in all speeds, 14ish-390ish (I don't remember exactly what the speeds were, although I know the top end was high 3s). All the sight glasses had adequate oil levels. Has a 10 HP motor, and a D1-8 spindle with a 2" through hole.
In any case... this seems like a ridiculously cheap price for an amazing piece of machinery. My one and only major setback, I don't have a place for it right now. I might have a friend that could store it for me for a while though. I also don't know what the weight is, I estimate it at ~5500 lbs? Does anyone know if this is about right?

So, what would you do?
1) Not even think twice and get a trailer over there asap.

2) Not even bother for any number of reasons.

PS. I've got the American Iron disease pretty bad as you may have guessed, I wouldn't even be thinking of picking this up if I wasn't stricken.

I would pass on it if I didn't have a place to put it.

Instead of preserving the machine you are just being greedy. I've seen too many machines neglected, put outside and degraded or destroyed from the same train of thought.

If you have a place for it and a use for it get it. If you don't, let someone who does have the machine. Your not "saving" it, your more than likely accelerating it's demise.

That is certainly good advice. I have already been asking others I know in the industry if they have a need for it. My last option was going to be asking anyone here on PM if they wanted it. And, for the record, I would never, ever, store a machine outside. I was only going to pick it up if I had a place to keep it until I could accommodate it, and I had pretty much resigned myself to passing on it at this point. I was having second thoughts due to the fact that it's going to get scrapped pretty soon as they have had very little interest in the machine and they need it gone since their business is closing. If anyone is interested let me know and I'll get you in touch with the seller after I've exhausted my short list of friends that might be interested.
Cheers,
Dan

Have 20" Model 16 brochure if a scan is needed. The 15 to 360 was standard with 1200 motor. 30 to 720 was offered with 1800 motor.

There were also 32 speed 20" jobs.

An undated mimeographed price sheet pegs the 20 X 54 Model 16 at $8088.00 - more than a decent home in those days.

Sort of like Model X L&S in that 18" up had bigger spindle nose.

John Oder

I am in the save it camp. Sidney made sweet machines, not in the numbers of their cross town rival, but equal in quality and performace. Their hering bone heads of the mid 50's are some of the best lathes every made. It is funny how many of the lathe manufacturers came out with really sweet lathes shortly before they were either bought out or closed.

John

I have a little different take than Garwood, Dan. What he describes has indeed happened too many times but with the business closing and the economy what it is, you may be the only thing between it and the scrapper.

If I didn't have a decent sized manual lathe and was close, I'd jump on that Sidney at that price and carefully store it 'til I could build it a great home right next to mine. Even if it was just a leveled, used shipping container for starters. That could be delivered in a matter of days.

Rent free storage, theft resistant, water resistant, plenty of room to operate it in and with the lathe now protected, over time, a great structure on which to attach a light, full length I-beam for a winch trolley, lot's of material storage racks and shelves and so on. I'd support that I-beam on a series of rollers or greased slides, so it could be pushed through the open doors and locked there for outside lifting, out-board removable leg optional.

Down the road, a simple carport roof could isolate it from summer sun and improve it's water resistance. A little inexpensive lattice from a big box store would support the climbing flowers making the neighbors happy etc.:blahblah::)

Bob

Save it!

I have a Sidney 14 with the spur gear head and would kill (well, no, I wouldn't go that far) to have a herringbone gear head Sidney. The lack of steady rest etc should be no detriment to acquiring that lathe. Mine didn't have a steady either, but I adapted a Monarch steady by cutting off the base (blasphemy to you Monarch fans, I'm sure!) and making a new one to fit the ways of the Sidney.

Sidney Lathes were quality machines in every detail and very massive as well. You can really take a cut on those machines with no chatter. I'll bet that 20 swings close to 23 inches in actuality.

Get it even if you have to put it in storage for a while. You won't be sorry!

Regards,

Mike Muha

At that price for a machine that sounds that good ,I'd have it NOW. I am lucky that my 18X40 could leave to my friends shop making room for it.

Its would really be a shame to let her go to the scrappers. But, if you have no place to put the machine, it would only get destroyed sitting outside in the weather. Sounds like a good deal alright, but you have to ask your self a few simple questions, like do you need a lathe that large, and do you have a use for it? If this lathe needs work, are you willing to put the time and effort in her, to bring it back to useable condition?

I have a 41 Sidney, and when it comes to those lathes, I have nothing but good things to say about them. I would think if you dont want the machine, someone would, if they new its available. You must have seen this machine allready, so only you would know if you want to purchase it.

Good luck on you decision to buy, or not to buy.
My thoughts on the Sidney I have,,,When I go, they can bury me with the Sidney, if nobody wants him.

Paul

If you don't want it, I think I can scoot over my 20" Lodge & Shipley a little bit, and squeeze in that 20" Sidney next to it in my crowded garage.:D:D:D That would be the straw that would break the camels back. Wifey would leave, her lawyer would have a field day!!!:(:(:(

From the little research I've done so far, the sidney lathes were offered with spur or herringbone gears. Most of the pics I've seen have been of spur geared models, it seems like a majority that survived were the spur gear model, or they at least made more of them?
I haven't picked up the sidney I started this post about. I'm trying to find it a home with someone I know, just takes a little time.

Last edited:
thank you much, MY lathe has straight gears unlike what I have been reading with others having herring bone gears. this it odd..

No, not odd at all; I have a spur gear headstock Sidney, s/n 7774 made in 1944. It is a wonderful machine.

4403481976_9086cb352d.jpg

Regards,

Mike Muha

Alright,
Just to give an update, the machine was bought and picked up. A friend helped move it and he will store it indoors in a humidity controlled area for as long as needed. This is one amazing machine, unfortunately I don't have any pics as we needed to get it moved fast. The machine was literally going to the scrapper in a few days if we didn't get it, and like I said in an above post, the carriage ways are literally pristine, so it really didn't deserve to get scrapped.
It came with a full manual, but I might be asking those of you that have some other info for a couple of scans if I can't find some of the info I need.
Thanks
Dan

Back