What's new
What's new

Recommissioning Lathe

Ja_cain

Cast Iron
Started to clean up the Powerturn today. She basically sat for 12 years unused. Basically using some steel wool and WD 40. I'm sure there are better ways, hence the post. Just looking for the best way to clean surface rust/grime off the ways. Also, I plan on drainong all fluids and replacing the mineral oil fluid with some cheaper hydraulic fluid and then draining again so I can fill with something of higher quality. Is there something better to flush with? Definitely going to remove the compound and glean everything there, but not sure if it's worth it to go beyond that. Got some Vactra for the aporon be and will make sure the hand pump is working. I assume the tailstock and spring ball oilers all require Vactra too. Seriously thinking about removing headstock cover to take a peak before filling and running with the cheaper fluid first. Just looking for advice. Much appreciate anything you guys can throw my way!

Justin

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Nice sharp razor blade for the rust on the ways, I wouldn’t use scotch brite or steel wool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

A cheap $12 weed sprayer works great to apply diesel fuel. Let it soak a few then re-spray and scrub. Toilet and car detail brushes work good for cleaning painted surfaces.

Plenty of Diesel fuel around the farm. If you look at the one pic, you will see a green can on the cross slide. You can load it up with anything you want and pressurize up to 200 psi. I initially put WD 40 in it, but will try the diesel fuel. Was thinking blue scotch brite pad might be ok too.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Back