What's new
What's new

Sealing the oil filter on my Cinova 205-12 mill

crzypete

Hot Rolled
I've been running this machine for a bit now after picking it up last year and every time I run it, oil is leaking out of the oil filter cap. Not just a couple of drops either, a substantial amount.

So, I pulled the cap today and there is a seal in there, paper like. I am debating how to proceed.

The Filter is kinda crushed. Probably will order one of those. Anyone have a lead? I found this one on ebay, Facet 38493-2 Filter 384932 | eBay seems a bit much, but it is convenient.

I'm debating sealing with RTV, but that would make it hard to remove later?

Could also cut a new gasket out of some thin cork gasket material I have?

Perhaps I am having issues because the filter is screwed up and that is creating unnecessary pressure on the whole system?

Thanks

Pete
some pics
oilfilter - 1.jpg

oilfilter - 2.jpg

oilfilter - 3.jpg

C Mike

I've been running this machine for a bit now after picking it up last year and every time I run it, oil is leaking out of the oil filter cap. Not just a couple of drops either, a substantial amount.

So, I pulled the cap today and there is a seal in there, paper like. I am debating how to proceed.

The Filter is kinda crushed. Probably will order one of those. Anyone have a lead? I found this one on ebay, Facet 38493-2 Filter 384932 | eBay seems a bit much, but it is convenient.

I'm debating sealing with RTV, but that would make it hard to remove later?

Could also cut a new gasket out of some thin cork gasket material I have?

Perhaps I am having issues because the filter is screwed up and that is creating unnecessary pressure on the whole system?

Thanks

Pete
some pics
View attachment 235450

View attachment 235451

View attachment 235452
Swift Filters has the filter and others do too, As long as you have the number on the on you have. They willl cross reference it. The filter is shot if you crush it, it is trying to draw the oil and it can't do it. Go buy a small tube make a gasket ( auto parts store ) Just put a small amout on it and just cover it. wipe it with you finger and leave it coated.Try Skinner # 28025.

Thanks Mike, I will call tomorrow.

The feeds motor always stopped really abruptly when turned off- like it is under too much load. I am curious if this screwed up filter is a root cause.

Peter

Well, the amazon filters are a bust. They are paper filters rather than the metal mesh filter that is there. Returning them and will probably order the 4 pack from swift.

Pete

Well my saga continues, I finally got the filters from Swift, and they are not identical either. They are paper with a mesh cage. I will be contacting them tomorrow, but I'm also curious to the forum's input, do these look appropriate?
oilfilternew - 1.jpg

Thanks

Peter

Thanks Mike,

I talked to them again and tore my old one apart. It sounds like the right thing. It turns out it is not actually paper that is surrounded by the wire- some special filter material.

I installed it today and started running the mill again. Seems to be good. Motor still sounds like it is straining a bit- perhaps a bad bearing in there. Or maybe that is how it is supposed to sound. It seems to stop very quickly after I cut power- like a second or two.

The leak seems to be substantially less even with no new sealing. I figured I would pull the filter again and see how it was doing after a bit of use. I was also curious if the leak was happening because the old filter was so clogged that it collapsed.

Peter

Back