What's new
What's new

Sheldon Friction Clutch Disassembly?

tobnpr

Hot Rolled
11" Sheldon...circa 1950"ish"...

Removed backplate from apron (had to sacrifice the copper oil pipe for the worm gear since it can't be "un-bent"). Tapered worm gear for the leadscrew pulled out easily after removing the front nut, but don't know the disassembly procedure to separate the front clutch knob and bushing from the assembly. If it unscrews, is it RH or LH thread? Completely different design than the SB with which I'm familiar. Don't want to risk breaking something by guessing...

Also, unlike my SB which is open at the bottom (save for the gasketed reservoir wicking oil to upper gears), this apron is completely closed at the bottom. There was some nasty old oil puddled in the bottom of the apron when I removed the backplate; since the gears don't run in an oil bath, I'm assuming no harm in drilling a hole or two to allow oil to drain as needed?

If I recall correctly, there are at least two different designs of the clutch assembly on those lathes. But, I believe that in all cases the thread of the knob is LH.
I suggest you join the Sheldonlathe Yahoo group (be patient: it generally takes 7-10 days for the moderator to approve new members), where there is a person, John Knox, who worked as engineer at Sheldon from the '50s till they closed. He is extremely knowledgeable and very helpful.

Paolo

I did join that group- and John has definitely been helpful.
But that group doesn't get nearly the participation of this forum...

Stuffed a cut piece of one of the old spindle belts (cut to a sharp taper to wedge into the gear teeth)into it, and it unthreaded-left hand- easily by hand. Much simpler clutch design than my SB...

good deal...I can understand the frustration of the yahoo group...it used to be nice, then it got "upgraded"...

be nice if it could be included the SB forum here somehow.

that is what's nice about the small Sheldons, parts might be scare,but it's so simple and easy to work on its not an issue.

Back