What's new
What's new

Spindle bearings for a '73 french vari-speed Cincinnati Toolmaster MT

JasonPAtkins

Hot Rolled
Hey all, since I bought it, my Toolmaster MT's spindle has been loud. I did change the belt, but that's not where the noise is coming from. I also notice when fly cutting that no matter how carefully I tram the head, a pass in one direction leaves a little burr compared to the return stepover pass. So, all of this combined with its age and the fact that the auction I got it from was a closed shop leads me to assume the bearings are probably ready to be replaced.

The upper bearings in the service manual are listed as 6009, so that's pretty easy. However, the reference for the bottom pair doesn't seem to be anything standard. It's Cincinnati part #747858, listed as "Bearing 17010". Does anyone have any way of knowing what the standard reference is for that bearing pair? Because the mill is in West Africa, I'd really prefer not to have to pull the spindle to get the reference, reinstall it while we wait the month or two for parts, and then have to take it all back apart again. If someone is able to help with the reference, it'd save the extra assembly/disassembly.

IBI book crosses over 17010 to IBI group 51413 which is such as Hyatt 17010 but I sure doubt that is what is in there - its only 1" bore and 2.25 OD described as ROLL ASSY & SOL OUT RACE (roller assembly & solid outer race)

So you will either have those originals out for a look or the folks that own Cinc will have to tell you

Probably some nice precision class angular contact ball bearing like Fafnir 2MM

Don't let the "French" throw you - they are the very folks that are responsible for the vast majority of US bearings being METRIC - been that way for over a hundred years

Back