What's new
What's new

Splitting the knee on K&T horizontal

Hobby Shop

Stainless
Hi guys,
Is there a trick to splitting the knee on a 2HL? I’m having a hard time getting the front cover off.
Stripping down the column was straight forward and easy enough.

I’d like to grab a handful of gears out of the knee before this thing goes to the pot. I can get the cover to separate about 1/4” but it won’t budge anymore than that.

I don't recall the model numbers, A picture of the machine would help jog my memory. But I suspect there is a left rear bracket that is the auxiliary handles bracket so you can move the machine when standing behind the table. You need to remove that bracket many times as there are shifting shafts the connect from front to back. Also could be the vertical rise safety flipper that needs to come off. If the machine has a simi round cover on the right side of knee held on with flat head screws, you have to pull it off first as it has shafts that run into the side of the knee transmission. Sometimes on smaller machines you had to lower the knee so the shifter fingers that looked like 2 rear racks disengaged. I would put a 2 x 6 behind the saddle and use the cross feed screw to force open the cover. On some of the bigger machines you had a round plate on left side about 4" in diameter and under there was a keyed shaft that you had to pull off.

If you can tell us the model and serial number John O may have a maintenance manual telling you step by step how to do it. K&T had great manuals (sometimes) telling you how. I looked and could not find a thread we did about 10 years ago with pictures on how to do this. One of the longtimers in this forum is an real time expert who I am sure knows what to tell you. I'm a bit foggy on stuff I did 35 years ago. I am sure I could do it if I was there or saw some around the machine and knee pictures.

If you can tell us the model and serial number John O may have a maintenance manual telling you step by step how to do it. K&T had great manuals (sometimes) telling you how. I looked and could not find a thread we did about 10 years ago with pictures on how to do this. One of the longtimers in this forum is an real time expert who I am sure knows what to tell you. I'm a bit foggy on stuff I did 35 years ago. I am sure I could do it if I was there or saw some around the machine and knee pictures.

Thank you Richard.
The machine is a 2HL horizontal. I’m busy tomorrow and Monday but I’ll try what you suggested Tuesday. It’s in the middle of my shop and has to go this week.

Back