What's new
What's new

Standard size Arbor "Running Bushing" for Horizontal Milling Machine?

JRock1000

Aluminum
Is there a standard size Running Bushing for Horizontal Milling Machines?
I'm building an overarm support for a VN22L.
Most of my cutters are for 1 1/4" arbors and a few are 1" (or smaller).
Planning to make the arbors (and spacers / Running Bushings)for them as well, 40 Taper arbors.
Getting to be time to bore the hole for the arbor bushing.
I'll be making a few arbors, but I also want to be able to use standardized tooling in case I come across any great deals.
Thanks!

Thanks!
Good to know.
I was leaning towards 1 3/4" (cause I have a bar of 01 round Stock that size).
I've got a bunch of cutters already, and most of them are 1 1/4" arbor hole.

What's the OD on the spacers, on your 1 1/4" arbor?
Got a stub arbor with the machine. 1" arbor, 1 3/8" spacers.
Got a major flaw though. Left Handed thread on the arbor nut.
I could just run it in reverse EXCEPT, the drawbar threads on right handed ;)
Does that stand to reason that the spacers on a 1 1/4" arbor would be 1 5/8?

EXCEPT, the drawbar threads on right handed

I will suppose you refer to holding arbor in spindle.....makes no difference at all since the face keys in spindle nose take care of the arbor coming loose.

If you refer to HOLDING arbor/spindle while tightening - make yourself a hook spanner to engage those same keys - or the adjacent slots in the arbor

Or put it the lowest speed and engage the clutch.

The arbor gets snugged up, not tightened to beat the band. The KEY drives the cutter - not how tight the arbor nut is

Does that stand to reason that the spacers on a 1 1/4" arbor would be 1 5/8?

Measure them and then you will know. Suppositions from the readership won't necessarily make things come out right

I will suppose you refer to holding arbor in spindle.....makes no difference at all since the face keys in spindle nose take care of the arbor coming loose.

The Drawbar spins loose in the spindle, then, although the face key does drive it, it has play in the Y axis. Not safe.

The arbor gets snugged up, not tightened to beat the band. The KEY drives the cutter - not how tight the arbor nut is
No key in the stub arbor.

Why would they even make a left handed arbor? The only advantage would be the ability to cut from right to left without Climb Milling.
I think the disadvantages far outweigh that. Unless you made up a drawbar that threads on LeftHanded as well.

Measure them and then you will know. Suppositions from the readership won't necessarily make things come out right
I don't have a 1 1/4" arbor, or have access to one. That's why I'm asking. ;)
I assume one of ya'll Practical Machinists might.

According to the Van Norman Attachments, Arbors and Accessories catalog, their 50-taper arbors had a 2-1/8" bearing and the 40-taper arbors used a 1-7/8" bearing.

Cal

Back