Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Georgia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Stuck - Leblond Regal Compound/Top Slide Disassembly

I'm overhauling a 15" Regal. Everything has come apart just fine except what ought to be simple ... the compound.

Has anybody had one of these apart and remember the trick? I of course have the gib out, and have removed the lock screw, key, the collar, the handle, etc. I don't see anything else that can be unscrewed or driven out, but the screw still won't turn all the way out either direction to disengage with the feed nut, and can't be pulled or pushed out of the bushing at the end of the top slide against which the collar turns. The feed nut is one of those periscope types that can be driven out from the bottom, but with the top slide still in, it currently has nowhere to go.

I'm either missing something obvious, or something is wedged and stuck in the bushing end of the top slide.

I see what I think are two spring pins in the bushing - I've tried drilling those out, but the bushing seems glued on (figuratively, not literally), even though the screw has plenty of axial play with the lock screw removed.

Any advice? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Bush has to come out - since it acts as a thrust bearing.

With bushing IN, screw has no where to go

With bushing OUT, screw backs out of nut and you lift the top off the bottom - since the gib is out, allowing this

No I have never touched a Regal, but MECHANICAL DESIGN always has to make sense

There is simply no MAGIC available

3. Likes moonlight machine, foggydog liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Georgia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For anybody stuck with the same issue in the future: the bushing collar is not pressed in. It is threaded and held in position with two spring pins. Drill them out, unthread, and out she goes.