What's new
What's new

Tapered gib not going all the way in on my Kearney and Trecker 2H knee. Is this norma

marino1310

Plastic
So as far as I know, Gibs should never extend past the part that they're in. Mine is about 3/4" out.. I noticed when I use the knee lock (which presses against the gib) the knee will move slightly, up to a few thousandths and the gib visibly moves.. I have tried tightening it down but it wont move any further, I've even removed the screw (as seen in the picture) and tried moving it down a bit with a rubber mallet but nothing. I had disassembled this machine once and put it back together so I know nothing is in there causing it to stick and it has plenty of oil. I'm guessing the knee is being pulled down by gravity (the knee on these things are HEAVY) and that's causing it to bind but how can I fix that? I tried using a car jack to jack the knee up but how do I know when its straight? The machine is not level and I cannot level it at the moment. Anyone have any advice?
8cedfef29d2dbe0d608de8cd3d246293.jpg
a17fa2d76b8d7df27b122a6145c4c279.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Hitting that gib with a rubber mallet isn't going to do a thing, even if it does want to go in. Your floor jack idea is not a bad one. You'll know it's straight when the gib slips in to where you think it used to be. Make sure your knee is up a ways so you have down travel that you can use to release the gib should you feel you've got it in too tight. Whatever you do don't move up until the gib is secured on both ends.

Another idea is to take a heavy cranck-able cargo strap and wrap it around the machine and over the top part of the knee there that I see in the picture. Haul it in and see if that doesn't allow your gib to move.

That reminds me, are you sure the lower stop screw is backed out all the way?

Hitting that gib with a rubber mallet isn't going to do a thing, even if it does want to go in. Your floor jack idea is not a bad one. You'll know it's straight when the gib slips in to where you think it used to be. Make sure your knee is up a ways so you have down travel that you can use to release the gib should you feel you've got it in too tight. Whatever you do don't move up until the gib is secured on both ends.

Another idea is to take a heavy cranck-able cargo strap and wrap it around the machine and over the top part of the knee there that I see in the picture. Haul it in and see if that doesn't allow your gib to move.

That reminds me, are you sure the lower stop screw is backed out all the way?
Well I completely forgot these had stop screws so no. Lol. I'll check it out

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Back