What's new
What's new

Was there a Cincinnati No 2 crane for vertical heads?

Brandenberger

Hot Rolled
Hi,

Looking at a Cincinnati 2ML with the heavy vertical head locally,
nice machine. I have seen a few mentions of a "overhead crane" for this,
maybe like a K&T parking attachment for the vertical head, but I've never
seen any pictures... I looked through the manuals / catalogs and didn't find
one either from Cincinnati.

Does such a thing exist?

The 280lbs of vertical head probably wouldn't come on or off very frequently if there wasn't an on-the-machine crane.

Thanks
Phil

I might be wrong but I don't think Cincinnati offered one, at least not for the smaller #2 mills. Every set-up I've seen either used a lift cart, Jib or Gantry hoist.

There was a factory crane for the vertical head attachment on 2ML mills. There's a photo of it in the factory 2ML catalog No. M-1662-2 (February 1953), page 33.

Screen Shot 2021-10-12 at 8.47.13 PM.jpg

There was a factory crane for the vertical head attachment on 2ML mills. There's a photo of it in the factory 2ML catalog No. M-1662-2 (February 1953), page 33.

View attachment 332020

Ah, I see that now. Thanks! Too bad they don’t show the mounting bracket piece that attaches to the machine. If anyone has one a picture of that would be very useful.

I have a Cincinnati 2ML and just bought a vertical attachment for it. I got it on the mill, but paid for it dearly. Back was pretty messed up. So, I built my own version of a Skyhook like Abom79 has.

Here is the link to the build video.

https://youtu.be/hlJaC9Tg37o

I have since built more and have 4 total floating around the shop. Super handy.

Sent from my rotary dial flip fone

Ah, I see that now. Thanks! Too bad they don’t show the mounting bracket piece that attaches to the machine. If anyone has one a picture of that would be very useful.

I've searched for a photo from the other side, but have never found one. Hard to tell from the one catalog photo, but I'm assuming that the base of the crane must mount to the un-seen side of the mill column, and not to the overarm.

Since the odds of finding one of these cranes is approaching zero, I decided to make a rolling cart to hold the vertical head attachment for my Cinova 80. It has a cradle that sits on the mill's table, and using the table elevation, lifts up underneath the head. Once the head is unbolted from the mill column, the head and cradle are then lowered on the table, traversed sideways, and the cradle with head are slid onto the cart. The cradle has strips of UHMW plastic on the underside to protect the mill table and make it easier to slide on and off. The base of the cart is equipped with NMTB50 plastic "cups" from Huot to hold five NMTB50 arbors and the drive gear for the vertical attachment.

I have a Cincinnati 2ML and just bought a vertical attachment for it. I got it on the mill, but paid for it dearly. Back was pretty messed up. So, I built my own version of a Skyhook like Abom79 has.

Here is the link to the build video.

https://youtu.be/hlJaC9Tg37o

I have since built more and have 4 total floating around the shop. Super handy.

Sent from my rotary dial flip fone

Nicely done cranes and video. Thanks!

Back