What's new
What's new

tool post, tool holder , quick change

learning-curve

Aluminum
My tray top did not come with any type of tool holder/tool post or any tooling .

what recommendation would cinnci lathe users recommend, I will mostly be working on parts under 1" dia. I will need boring bar holder and knurling head, and slitting blade holder/cutting blade.

I would like to stay middle of the road on price, dont want something cheaply made that does not hold tool when making easy 0.0200 cut but dont need so heavy I can do .250 cut either not sure what good price would be or what brands to stay away from.

guidance is needed here, again I really dont know what I should get or look for if I try to find new or used

Congrats on new lathe...this thread will draw low response because it is beating a horse so dead the maggots on the dead horse are dead and blown away. (I could go on but I won't.)

I suggest a search on these topics: aloris, dorian, rocker, phase 2, piston, wedge,quick change tool post sizing, center height.

Personally, used Aloris and Dorian fits my budget and taste.

Go to Tools4Cheap and look at the wedge-type posts that are appropriate for the swing of your lathe. AXA for up to 11". BXA for 11" to 14". CXA for 14" to 18", and so on. These will interchange with the much more expensive Aloris and Dorian. If you need a better post later, you can upgrade a little at a time.

I just picked up an Aloris AXA for my heavy 10 SB on the used market and I couldn't be happier. I especially like the tag on it that says 'Made in the USA' and the quality of how smooth it works.

1st choice, Aloris, 2nd choice Phase II. Wedge style is better that piston. I just got a used Phase II wedge, quality is good. Not as good as Aloris. The Phase II set at Enco is $ 200. Nothing more to see here.

Dorians have served me well at work. Far better than an Aloris from the standpoint of ingesting chips, as the post itself is far more sealed off in the piston type than the wedge. They will reliably hold position without the stop screw being seated when taking SEVERELY heavy interrupted cuts in 16" diam 316L stainless on a HD 20" American Pacemaker. Have an Aloris on the 13" LeBlond and it will loosen up if you get a ringing chatter going.

Aloris CA is very common on 14-20" machines. Both my manual lathes came with CA toolposts. Aloris toolholders are very common and affordable used.

The Dorian system is definitely an upgrade from Aloris. Aloris and Dorian holders interchange to a degree, you just can't put multiple Aloris holders on the toolpost at the same time like you can with Dorian. If I could somehow see having a return on investment by upgrading tooling systems I would by Dorian and sell the Aloris, but the Aloris works fine for me.

An indexable Dorian in the CA size came with the 20" L&S Ken has now. Maybe it was abused, but it was very poor in my estimation. A nice Aloris CA replaced it.

I have a DTM CA that is nice too. I had a choice of it or an Aloris and the DTM was nicer. Check Ebay and you may find a good used one.

Back