What's new
What's new

tooling for K&T 1CH

Brandenberger

Hot Rolled
Hi,
I am considering a K&T 1CH which unfortunately has very little tooling.

I'm therefore probably looking for

- arbor supports (I see some on ebay)
- arbors for NMTB40 (I see a small number on ebay)
- universal milling attachment (vertical head) of some sort, ideally with crane/parking attachment

Any good sources around for this stuff other than ebay and craigslist?

Thanks,
Phil

Make sure your arbor supports have the 2.875" bores for the overarms

Hi,
I am considering a K&T 1CH which unfortunately has very little tooling.

I'm therefore probably looking for

- arbor supports (I see some on ebay)
- arbors for NMTB40 (I see a small number on ebay)
- universal milling attachment (vertical head) of some sort, ideally with crane/parking attachment

Any good sources around for this stuff other than ebay and craigslist?

Thanks,
Phil

In my mind there is a difference between tooling and an accessory. You need the arbor support to have a useful machine. Any horizontal sold without one should be discounted accordingly. NMTB/NST tooling is plentiful and can be purchased very reasonable if you shop around. If you think you are buying the machine to pickup a universal head then you need to pass and just buy a vertical mill. Looking for any specific K&T accessory can become a bit of an odyssey. You could find what what you want tomorrow or it could be 5 years from now. Depends on how hard you look, what you are willing to pay.

In my mind there is a difference between tooling and an accessory. You need the arbor support to have a useful machine. Any horizontal sold without one should be discounted accordingly. NMTB/NST tooling is plentiful and can be purchased very reasonable if you shop around. If you think you are buying the machine to pickup a universal head then you need to pass and just buy a vertical mill. Looking for any specific K&T accessory can become a bit of an odyssey. You could find what what you want tomorrow or it could be 5 years from now. Depends on how hard you look, what you are willing to pay.

I got my 2hl universal from gov't surplus many years ago... Some trunk monkey threw away all the attachments somewhere along the line as I know exactly what was shipped to the Navy originally....I paid 400 dollars for the machine and over the years I got all of the arbor supports, an arm brace, a model H dividing head, a slotting head, two vertical heads, a low lead attachment with all the gears, and many other attachments...I found many of them on ebay but if you use ebay today, you may have to take out a second mortgage on your home to pay for items ..

Bottom line is if you buy a used machine with nothing to go with it, the price had better be cheap.. Cheers; Ramsay 1:)

thanks for the advice. the K&T is attractive partly because it is local and
I saw it run and seems to be good mechanically. But it would take some
serious haggling to get this below $1000, and then the arbor supports on
top of that.

I have a bridgeport so the vertical / universal head isn't a super priority,
just would be nice to have that option at some point.

I also saw a Brown and Sharpe No 2 Light from 1941, which has an overarm arbor
support, gear set for universal dividing head (but not the head itself)
and a few arbors for $600. Maybe that's approaching cheap!

-Phil

I have the B&S #2light. Excellent machine, but not as common as K&T. I have run both, both are good, so I would look at condition and tooling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quoted and highlighted for truth. Price should be cut in half, for no arbor support.

Thanks all.

Negotiations didn’t succeed so I may consider the B&S no2 light or
Wait around for a k&t or VN or Cincy to surface nearby...

For those of you with BS no2 light machines... do the older machines without
a rapids motor on the knee all have rapid feeds (driven from the main motor)?

It’s a bit hard to tell from the manuals I’ve found so far.

Thanks,
Phil

Back