What's new
What's new

Tooling Opinions/Advice

Ja_cain

Cast Iron
Now that I'm super close to having my L&S 1610 straight. Looking for info on which holders, insert geometry, etc to purchase. I like the I like idea of getting some nice WMNG inserts and tool holder. I also like the idea of getting some hss from AR Warner like what I have on my small bench top lathe for finish cuts. That being said, this random braised on carbide cutter didn't do to bad with .120" doc in 300 series SS. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

https://youtu.be/QFo1_W0ve0c

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Now that I'm super close to having my L&S 1610 straight. Looking for info on which holders, insert geometry, etc to purchase. I like the I like idea of getting some nice WMNG inserts and tool holder. I also like the idea of getting some hss from AR Warner like what I have on my small bench top lathe for finish cuts. That being said, this random braised on carbide cutter didn't do to bad with .120" doc in 300 series SS. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

https://youtu.be/QFo1_W0ve0c

Try CNMG first, it is more widely used I believe.

Buy a quality holder with a carbide shim, not the cheapy w/out it. The carbide shim prevents the holder from being eaten up.

Try CNMG first, it is more widely used I believe.

Buy a quality holder with a carbide shim, not the cheapy w/out it. The carbide shim prevents the holder from being eaten up.
Will do! If you have time, would greatly appreciate a link!

Little update. Had to order an oversized tool holder since standard for BXA is 5/8". Really wanted to go with a 3/4" carbide insert holder. Dorian makes one that will accomodate up to 1" shank. So good to go there. Interested to see what brand holder and inserts McMaster sends me. They usually sell nice stuff. Can't wait to see how well the chip breaker works too. Will update.with some sweet videos once I get everything in.PXL_20210807_210720701~2.jpgPXL_20210807_200851161.jpg

Back