What's new
What's new

Toolmaster 1D with 2-phase electrical

TBob

Plastic
I've bought a Cincinnati Toolmaster 1D, got it home and into the shop, nobody got hurt, no damage. Saw it running under ordinary 3-phase power. Would like a reality check on the electrical system.

Back panel label: CIMTROL 2-phase

Motor nameplate: Standard Electric Div of Dayton,
model: 3062 Type: OS
Ser: CW13005 PHASE: 2 (yes, two)
Amps: 5.6-2.8 RPM: 1700

Wiring label on motor shows:
higher:
ph 1 wires go to 1+7 and 5+3,
ph 2 wires go to 8+2 and 6+7
lower:
ph 1 wires go to 1 and 3,
ph 2 wires go to 2 and 4, connect 5+7, connect 6+8

Incoming 3-phase goes first to an external box containing 2 transformers, labeled "3-phase to 2-phase only" dated 1997,
and the output 4 wires go into the CIMTROL panel.

I guess this machine was a 2-phase converted in 1997 for 3-phase by adding the transformer box. Does that sound right, or all they all like this?

My shop has no 3-phase but I have an inverter; the inverter wants to be directly connected to a motor.

So I think my plan is:
Wire the inverter to the transformers and wire them direct to the spindle motor bypassing the panel. Maybe that will make the inverter happy and the machine usable, don't know yet. For now, don't use the power feed or the coolant pump, figure those out later.

Any thoughts? suggestions? I appreciate your experiences.

2-phase (NOT to be confused with common single phase) power is left over from the early 2-phase generators used at Niagara Falls. A lot of machines in that area, particularly in Philadelphia, were 2-phase. Your transformer box probably contains a Scott-T transformer pair, which converts 3-wire, 3-phase power into 4-wire, 2-phase power.

What make and model "inverter" do you want to use to drive it? It may be a lot simpler to replace the spindle and feed motors with 3-phase motors.

Cal

Thanks for that Scott-T reference. It looks like that's what I have. My inverter is a Huanyang 4kw unit. It runs my lathe just fine, but that only has one motor, and they tell me that no transformers are allowed between their inverter and motor. So my first plan won't work, and I'll look into phase converters. No need to replace the motors on the mill though because the mill with its transformers runs fine on 3 phase power.

Thanks for that Scott-T reference. It looks like that's what I have. My inverter is a Huanyang 4kw unit. It runs my lathe just fine, but that only has one motor, and they tell me that no transformers are allowed between their inverter and motor. So my first plan won't work, and I'll look into phase converters. No need to replace the motors on the mill though because the mill with its transformers runs fine on 3 phase power.
I think a rotary phase converter (RPC) will be your best bet. A so-called "static" phase converter (most of which are really nothing more than a 3-phase motor starter), probably will not work, since most of them don't power the third phase after startup; that's not going to work with your setup. I would get a used idler motor locally and buy an RPC panel. I've referred several people here and had good feedback: Standard Series. (I have no relationship with them.) A panel is under $200; a kit, where you supply your own enclosure and wire it up, is under $200.

Cal

In case anybody is curious, here is what I ended up with. Household 1 phase 240 v goes to a Temco XR3 that makes 3 phase, then that goes to the Scott-T transformer that makes 2 phase, then that goes to the 2 phase toolmaster that now runs!

Back