What's new
What's new

Toolmaster Electrical Problem

rhinsen

Aluminum
Hey guys,
I have a question on hooking up the Toolmaster. I just got the phase converter up and running, now we are running wire to the Toolmaster. The machine was wired for 480 and now it's going to be 220. We changed all the motors to low voltage per the charts on each motor. Nothing comes on. What do we have to change inside the electrical compartment inside the back of the machine to power it up. I know it will be something simple like move these wires from termial A,B,C to post 1,2,3, but I don't know where to look and I'm not into experimenting with this.
Thanks again,
Rick Hinsen

Rick,

A control transformer would have to be swapped from 480 connection to 240 connection. Any motor starter, if it used line voltage for the coil, would have to have the appropriate coil installed. Reconnecting the motors for a lower voltage is usually only half the story.

When you utilize a phase converter it's important to power control devices from the true legs and not involve the generated leg.

I don't know what machine you have so these remarks may not apply.

Stuart

What model is it?

If it's a 1D model like mine, you need to swap wires on the transformer. Mine is located toward the lower left side of the electrical compartment as you're standing behind the machine and it has a wiring diagram on the transformer for 220 and 440 just like a dual voltage motor will have.

Yes I have a 1d with a H/V head and power feeds on table and saddle plus a coolant pump, so the eletric box is full. I'll head down to the shop later today and check the transformer. Does anyone have the wiring diagram or better yet a photo of the transformer with the wires in the correct location. ( low voltage 220 ) As I stated earlier the machine was wired for 480 operation.
Thanks,
Rick Hinsen

I will try to get a picture this weekend. You may still need to change the heaters depending on if it was originally wired for 440 or 220. Mine is wired for 220 although I'm not sure if my heaters are correct. An earlier owner told me it was wired for 220, then he sold his shop and the new owners went broke and I bought the mill on the auction. When I got it it was wired for 440 and an extra little jumper wire that fit perfectly on the transformer was laying on the bottom of the compartment. I just concluded that they changed it to 440 without changing heaters since I have not had an trouble with it.

I went to the shop and on the cover of the electrical compartment it says "Cimtrol Control System " it gives the serial #CJ4C5L-10 and that matches with the column and the machine came wired for 220 ( that was stamped on the cover ) also was Diagrams G-176290 & 173908. On the inside back of the cover there were stickers about 3" square that just had info on the spindle motor etc. nothing as to the stuff inside.
There are 2 small transformers one on the left and one on the right. The one on the left is the one we want I think. It is HEVI-DUTY ( the name of it ) It shows a 220 picture and a 440 picture and a 110 picture but very, very small. On the top of the transformer there are 4 taps coming out with 4 wires and on the bottom there are 2 taps with 2 wires. I think these are the wires that will have to be switched around, but there is no real indication ( to me ) which one would go where. I saw a L12 on one of the wires, but I didn't get in there and start twisting on things to see any more markings etc.
Thanks again,
Rick

Rick,

My thought would be to get someone more familiar with this situation than you are to help you out.

A typical machine tool transformer would have four connections on the line side and only two on the load side. This means the area you see with tabs noted as L1 and L2 is the load side...the stepped down side, probably 120 volts. This side should not be changed.

On the line side, the side with four tabs, you would have a choice of 240 volt input or 480 volt input and the tabs would be designated H1, H2, H3 and H4.

For 240 volt input, H1 and H2 and connected and attached to one leg of the line. H3 and H4 are connected and attached to the other leg of line.

480 volt input attaches to H1 with one leg and H4 with the other while H2 & H3 and jumpered together.

This is a pretty standard connection but I sure can't guarantee that it's your connection, that's why a professional should help you out.

Stuart

Here is a photo of what my H/V with power feeds and pump look like.

Toolmaster009.jpg

If I can help you out with this I will try. When I first got mine I wanted to change it over from the high voltage to low. I asked here on PM for help with the heater values but never got any help that I could use. I ended up using the mill as is with a step up transformer and the one head I run not going through the eletrical system. I should be able to help you out with you question and maybe you can tell me the values of your heater so I can set mine up for the low voltage.
Andy

I was able to get some photo's today. I hope this is works. The transformer is in the same place as Andy's with the red label, lower left.

Attachments

• toolmaster_2.jpg
    toolmaster_2.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 196
Rick,

Your transformer shows the typical H1 through H4 connections. H2 and H3 are jumpered while lines are on H1 and H4. IMHO this indicates it's connected for 240 primary volts...

Stuart

Thanks Atomarc,
All I've done so far is post these photo's of the machine as I got it. I've changed the motor settings from high voltage to low, put power to it turned it on and nothing happened. What else should I check and point me in the right direction and I'll check that also.
Thanks again,
Rick

Chip,
No, just took the cover off to trouble shoot and take photos. You can defeat the interlock by turning the switch on with the cover laying beside the machine. I also think you would let the majic smoke out if you were making chips with the cover off.
Rick

Ok, good. That stalled me for a second when I was first powering mine up.
I'll take a look tonight and see what's what in mine. It's set up for 220/3ph, thru a POS static phase converter. Do you have fuses in an external disconnect switch in addition to the ones inside the back cover?
Are you callable tonight?

On edit: When you say "nothing comes on" does that mean no clicks or buzzes when you push the "start" button on the side of the column? Can you tell if you have voltage (even voltage that's too low) from the phase converter? Will the phase converter run other 3ph stuff, if you have it?

Chip
(moving steadily towards RPC...)

Last edited:
Rick,

I'm confused....your control transformer, if it's a typical 240/480 input, appears to already be configured for low voltage. This means it is wired to work on 240 volts now.

If you are using a phase converter I believe it's important to have any transformer wired to L1 and L3 which would be the 'non generated' legs of the three phase. Wiring to L2 will not allow the transformer to function. This assumes you have wired the RPG input/output using this strategy.

Simple troubleshooting with a Wiggy or VOM will verify all kinds of things and probably get you on the road to running sooner than later.

As was mentioned earlier, if this machine was indeed wired for 480 voltage previously, the heaters (overloads) will have to be changed to afford proper motor overload protection. Motor nameplate data should show FLA for both voltages and the appropriate heaters can be installed.

Stuart

Chip,
My phase converter is 20hp and is hooked up to a square dee breaker panel with the wires running to a fused quick disconnect on the wall behind the machine and there is power to the machine. No clicks
Yes, I have a 14x30 Hendey that has been hooked up first and is running very well.

Stuart,
I'll check to see if the L2 is in there on the transformer. I got this machine from a tech college and it was wired 480. I let a friend use it while I finished the concrete floor ( $$$ ) and electric for my pole barn. He bought a 220 to 480 transformer so he could avoid this.
Rick

rhinsen,
I'm thinking the you have been mis-lead a little here. I think your transformer is wired for 440V in the picture you posted. You do understand that the H1 H2 H3 H4 on the front edge of the transformer corresponds to the terminal directly behind it? I believe that you need to take the jumper wire off of the H2 to H3 terminals and connect it between H1 and H2 then make another jumper and connect it to H3 and H4. The two lines that currently come in to H1 and H4 should be left where they are. It looks like the wiring arrangement you need is shown just below H4 on the red tag on the front of the transformer. The tag should show an arrangement for both 220 and 440.
Hope this helps some.

Were you able to download the wiring diagram?

Rick,

I now know I must be getting senile...Oliverdude has discovered it! I posted the transformer connections for HI and LO voltage then put my foot in my mouth and told you your transformer pix indicated a LO voltage connection.

As Oliverdude has stated, that pix shows a HI voltage connection...reconnect in the manner he layed out and see what happens.

Stuart

atomarc,
It took me a while, but I finally thought about it last night at work and realized what happened.

rhinsen,
Let us know how it turns out.

Back