What's new
What's new

Tree 2UVR Spindle Adjustment

chris1223

Plastic
I am looking for the proper way to adjust the spindle eccentric pins from someone - A school of google search did not return anything great on this option other than the basics. What I am looking for is how is the setup itself. I get that you need to put a test indicator in the spindle to check runout during the operation while checking for feel of the up/down of the quill - What I need is how is the setup to get to the adjustment while its somewhat together to check for all this stuff. I'm sure there is a glaring way once someone that has experience points it out.

TIA

Chris

Chris

I have a Tree 2uvr-c and in the process of rebuilding the head. I have read your post twice and still don't understand what you are looking for. It's clear you get the indicator in the spindle concept and you know about the eccentric pins and how they affect the spindle movement based on your post. The pipe plug allows access to the spindle drive block adjustment. The spring clips lock the eccentric pins once they have been adjusted. So what is the question?

The question was how exactly do you do the adjustment and check i.e. - the setup - But you answered it via the pipe plug. Sometimes the answer is just right there needing it pointed out - Thanks!

I might add, many times the rollers beat divots in to the splined shaft. The cure is to fit hardened square flats that replace the rollers. Adjustment is the same, the flats glide over the dings. These used to be available from whoever took up the Tree spare parts business. I have lost rack who that might be.

I might add, many times the rollers beat divots in to the splined shaft. The cure is to fit hardened square flats that replace the rollers. Adjustment is the same, the flats glide over the dings. These used to be available from whoever took up the Tree spare parts business. I have lost rack who that might be.

Yea, mine has not reached that point yet so I just stuck with the rollers. Someone did drop the keepers at one point and crafted a new one on their own that was weak - I believe this attributed to the broken eccentric pin I found during the rebuild. Supposedly I have the last NOS pin made in the whole universe at a cost of 125.00... I was afraid to ask what the pads cost and will probably just make some at one point. I hope nc5a's luck is not the same as mine in regards to this pin - All the rest of the items needed (Bearings and screws/bolts) were readily available.

Yea, mine has not reached that point yet so I just stuck with the rollers. Someone did drop the keepers at one point and crafted a new one on their own that was weak - I believe this attributed to the broken eccentric pin I found during the rebuild. Supposedly I have the last NOS pin made in the whole universe at a cost of 125.00... I was afraid to ask what the pads cost and will probably just make some at one point. I hope nc5a's luck is not the same as mine in regards to this pin - All the rest of the items needed (Bearings and screws/bolts) were readily available.

Hi Chris,

Yeah, the eccentric pins and square rollers are getting hard to find and expensive when you do find them. The spring clips that secure the pins are very hard to come by these days. I bought all my parts to rebuild the head from zpsusa.com located in Wisconsin. The spindle bearings aren't cheap either the lower set for my Tree cost $440. I think I have in the neighborhood of $1350 in just parts for my 2UVR-C head but that includes all bearings, belts, eccentric pins, square rollers, clips, gasket, spacers, keys and spindle drive nut.

I'm not sure how far along you are with your Tree head but make sure you put a washer behind the spring clips that secure the pins. If not the clips have a tendency to break right in the middle and fall into the quill cavity.

Checkout the General section of this forum, I have 2 post dealing with Tree stuff. One is a special deep socket for the Tree spindle nut and the other is the repair of my damaged ram where the yoke bolts on.

Ron

Hi Chris,

Yeah, the eccentric pins and square rollers are getting hard to find and expensive when you do find them. The spring clips that secure the pins are very hard to come by these days. I bought all my parts to rebuild the head from zpsusa.com located in Wisconsin. The spindle bearings aren't cheap either the lower set for my Tree cost $440. I think I have in the neighborhood of $1350 in just parts for my 2UVR-C head but that includes all bearings, belts, eccentric pins, square rollers, clips, gasket, spacers, keys and spindle drive nut.

I'm not sure how far along you are with your Tree head but make sure you put a washer behind the spring clips that secure the pins. If not the clips have a tendency to break right in the middle and fall into the quill cavity.

Checkout the General section of this forum, I have 2 post dealing with Tree stuff. One is a special deep socket for the Tree spindle nut and the other is the repair of my damaged ram where the yoke bolts on.

Ron

Ron,

ZPS is where I got the pin actually, but something you bring up has sparked a thought - I was thinking that the old clip I had was a two piece and the new one they sent was a newer revision piece that was one piece. Now that you say that, I went back over the parts list and I see the lock washer behind it that you mention which I dont have on the new nor old clips. My old clip is obviously broken so I will order another - Good thing those clips are only 15.00 each. As far as the lock washer - Is it a external lock, or another style if I may ask?

I was lucky enough that my spindle bearing were good - The machine I have was rebuilt at some point so I had very few bearings to deal with.

TIA

Chris

Back