What's new
What's new

Turret Lathe Ram versus Saddle

FirstEliminator

Cast Iron
hey guys,
I can see the difference between a ram style versus a saddle type turret lathe. However, I don't understand the purpose in the difference between the two. If one has an advantage over the other. Or what circumstances would a ram be more effective or efficient than a saddle. One friend told me the bigger machines arent ram because the weight of the turret and all it's components are to heavy to extend out. I can see how that might be reasoning. But a ram could probably have been made bigger to accommodate.
Also, I'm still looking for a J&L 5--4-1/2 or a 7A 4-1/2. I've seen so many come and go in the years I've been fiddling around with machines......should, woulda, coulda...

thanks,
Mark

The saddle type are sometimes equipped with the "cross sliding" turret, where the ram type of turret is fix and not available with the sliding feature.

The saddle type are definitely much heavier and bigger than ram type of turret lathes for the size numbers they used.

In my search for a J&L I think I will go with a 7a which is the saddle type. A few years ago I used to see them for sale cheap quite often. Been a while since there have been any that aren't a flipper trying to get 6 grand on e-bay for something incomplete. If I go for one, might as well go for the large spindle bore. Do I need a large spindle bore?--no. Do I need a turret lathe?--no. But, I think they are cool.

Back