What's new
What's new

Universal Dividing Head for Cincinnati No 2M

olsenjohn

Plastic
Hello All,

I am looking for a Universal Dividing Head for an older Cincinnati No 2M horizontal milling machine. I will try and post the picture along with the thread but if I can not here is a link to vintage machinery where I have pictures posted. I apologize but I am new to the thread and still trying to figure out the picture thing.

VintageMachinery.org - Photo Index - Cincinnati Milling Machine Co. - No. 2 M

What I am wondering is if I can use any Cincinnati universal dividing head or if I will need a specific year range model to fit? I believe the original machine came with a 10" unit. As you can see the machine has all of the drive gears and they are in great shape. Just need the head and tail stock.

Also, I can not find the serial number. Any suggestions on where to look?

Thank you in advance!

This thread has some good pictures of a Cinci universal head-

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...-10-universal-dividing-head-tailstock-179148/

Should not be any issues with year/model interchange-you already have the really hard to find parts. If you need measurements for drive shaft location just let me know. The DH I linked to is sitting on my 2MH but I don't have the lead box.

Don't know where the serial # is on those mills, an accomplice of mine owns an early #1 and I believe He said there were lot #'s on some parts but no serial #.

Scott

Also, I can not find the serial number. Any suggestions on where to look?
Above or below spindle flange on face of column. It won't tell us anything though, too old and obscure by now. I have seen serials from these days that start with an "A" or "B". My 1919 #4 High Power vertical was B121M.

All these early compact "M" mills had the flanged and face keyed spindle nose with #14 B&S taper, which I have only seen (in photos) a few pieces of tooling for.

It isn't much of a big deal to convert them to NMTB 50 since the flange is already there.
The flange was standard at CMM long before the NMTBA adopted it to go along with the steep tapers 10/20/30/40/50. I will add that CMM products this vintage ONLY had the 50 size flange.

I.E., the face mills in the photos will bolt right on to any 50 taper spindle nose.

J.O.

Thank You

Thank you both very much. The pictures and documents really helped out a lot. I was glad to see on the original documents that the drive gears came in a set of 12 gears. I counted my set and it has 12 unique sized gears plus two drive gears mounted on the arm so I am assuming the whole set is there.

I measured the gears and they all have a 1.25" shaft bore. From the document on the DH it looks like the DH has a small gear on it. What size is the shaft on your DH? Any idea how many teeth or what size the gear for the DH should be? Worse case I would have to make one but since they are simple straight teeth that should not be a big deal.

Thoughts on sizing?

Spindle Flange

John -

I did some measurements and it looks like my mill has the B&S 14 taper you referred to. The mill came with 7 different arbor shafts with the B&S 14 tapers. A 1", 1.25", and a 1.5" as well as some that just hold end mills and such. The spindle in the machine came out fairly easily. There is some minor scoring in the spindle, but not as bad as I would have expected given the age of the machine. I am hoping that she turns fairly true with the long arbors since I plan on using the machine mostly with gear cutters and side cutters. My vertical milling machine does not do well with those.

When I do the rebuild I will definitely have to consider converting it over to the size 50. Your help and comments will be greatly appreciated. So much more tooling. Well...... I guess anything would be better than having zero availability for new tooling.....14 B&S is definitely obsolete.

The one big thing missing is the bronze bushing from the end support that the bigger arbor shafts use. I will take some pictures this week and post them to make sure I am putting the right pieces in the right places. I am pretty sure that the steel bushing that slides onto the arbor shaft is correct and there. It just needs the bronze piece. But with no owners manual I am not certain.

Oh - any ideas on age from the pictures? The Cleveland Textile Mill and Power Company was built in 1888. The machine shop was built on the site at the same time. It was a cool old brick building with wood beams. The shop was still driven by belt drive when it was torn down a few years ago. I guessed from pictures that the machine would be 1920's. And the tag on the side had patents for every year up to 1918 on the side.

And, if anyone is interested. There are still other belt driven machines available. The owner wanted to turn them over to a museum but had no takers. When I was there I saw two lathes, one belt driven and one motorized, a belt driven drill press, and a belt driven broaching machine, and a belt driven gear cutter. I have attached some pictures. Note that there is no power in what is left of the buildings. It is dark and fun to rummage around for machinery pieces.

Thank you again!

Attachments

• DSC_0536.jpg
    DSC_0536.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 570
  • DSC_0535.jpg
    DSC_0535.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 510
Age - they are in the '23 catalog but not the '13 catalog, so I suppose they were a WW1 development, or shortly thereafter. As can be seen in the scans above the '23 catalog illustrations look just like yours. Not too long after the single round overarm would give way to a heavy cast overarm design that was fitted to the top of the column with a long dovetail. About the same time the column casting was extended to the rear to enclose clutch pulley and the means to drive it, and the motor was put in the base. This was how my '36 2M looked. Plain spindle bearings were replaced by precision Timken tapered rollers in the very early thirties.

You have the most 14 B&S tooling I ever heard of. A member has a #4 Horizontal that age that would likely like to have it.

If you decide to convert to NMTB 50 just let me know and I can talk you through it. I can even loan a long drill to open up the draw bar hole to 1 1/16". :)

J.O.

B&S 14 Tooling

I did not realize the tooling was that difficult to come by when I picked up the machine. If I recall correctly, I think there is some more tooling of the same taper there, but they were in a bit rougher shape and would need to be smoothed out so I passed on them. But I could probably go back and pick them up if someone was interested.

Here is a picture of one of the odd ones that was with the machine that I passed on and left. I think it was made to be a single bit fly cutter?

If the other member is interested, I could go back and pick them up. It is about an hour away but I would not mind. The owner would likely want at least scrap value for them since that is the pile they are in now.

Attachments

• DSC_0602.jpg
    DSC_0602.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 324

Back