What's new
What's new

Unloading advice for P&W Model B lathe?

OldParts

Aluminum
I don't even know the ship dates yet, but best be prepared.

13X30, I'm guessing fairly early, but don't know how they date.

It should be coming on a step deck or straight flat bed; I don't know which yet, but it is supposed to be side loaded. I was told about 2500lb, so at least the weight won't challenge a 5000lb fork lift any.

There's a couple pictures in my Wanted thread.

Last month I helped a friend unload one of these. Nice piece of equipment. They are top heavy so if you can pick it with slings from the top that would be best. We made skids that bolted to the base and picked it off a trailer with a forklift and then it was easy to move with a pallet jack under the skid. Its pretty heavy on the headstock side so moving the saddle as far right as you can helps and placing the forklift or pallet jack toward the heavy side is a must.

The pictures sure do look headstock heavy. Top heavy makes sense too - I'll certainly have to keep that in mind! Slings probably are the best answer unless it arrives bolted to a real rigid pallet.

Nice brochure, John! I downloaded it right away. Looking at a few other threads around here on 13" Model Bs, I'm starting to hone in around 1926.

If I read the forum rules right, I best not stray too much from the title topic, and am truly getting way ahead of things (but I'll admit to being the proverbial kitty cat) so I'll post my threading question on it separate. Probably best answered in Antique Iron, though my intent for this is more hobby use than either collectable or production.

Back