What's new
What's new

Van Norman #12 on CraidsList, Oregon

Don Kinzer

Cast Iron
While sifting through listings on the Portland, Oregon CraigsList, I came across an ad for a Van Norman #12 that appears to be very well tooled. I would love to have it but I don't have space right now. I don't know the seller - I'm just passing along the information.

It is well-tooled. Lots of collets, arbors and accessories. Needs a good cleaning before machine wear could be assessed from the photos. Besides the shaping attachment and the universal subhead (with quill, apparently), it's also got a set of change gears for the universal dividing head. Did not see the "banjo" in the photos.

I should be clear: Not my machine, nor do I know the guy who owns it.

Text from add:

Van Norman #12 Universal Milling Machine with significant accessory tooling. This is a vertical and horizontal mill with the ability to tilt the mill head through 90 degrees for angle milling.
This mill was purchased by my late uncle right after he returned from WW2 and lived in his shop for over 75 years. He retired as a machinist instructor and model maker for Tectronics so he knew machine tools. The machine has a “war finish” tag indicating that the cosmetic finishes were not to the standards of the time, but mechanical accuracy was not sacrificed. The castings and finish are better than anything you will see in a modern piece of equipment. Table size is 9 x 38, just a little smaller than a Bridgeport. Machine weighs about #1200 and has a 1 ½ HP GE open frame motor that could (should) be easily replaced with a single phase motor.
This machine was built using seasoned US made castings, and the guide-ways are all hand scraped. There is some wear, but scraping is still visible on all guide-ways and there is no deep scoring on any of the precision surfaces. Table has one small “apprentice” mark (see pics). Three T-slots use standard ½” tie down hardware.
Machine has built in power feed in the X axis and federate is adjustable. Has 9 spindle speeds from 70 to 1465 RPM and 12 feed rates from 3/8” per min to 14” per min. All speeds and feeds are lever adjustments, no belt changing required.
Included with the machine are the following attachments and tooling:
Sensitive drill feed head
2 right angle milling heads,
Short stroke shaping head
Dividing head with tailstock
Threaded back 8” Skinner brand 3 jaw chuck for dividing head
Set of change gears for dividing head for helical milling
44 Van Norman 5V collets for milling cutters and drills, sizes 1/32”-5/8”
3 Morse Taper to 5V adapters
4 stub milling arbors
3 shell mill arbors (2 shell mills included)
2 draw bars for accessory heads
7 ½” x 7/8 horizontal milling arbor with spacers and nut (no keyway)
12 x 1” horizontal milling arbor with spacers and nut (1/4” keyway)
Plywood shop built cabinet for tooling and collets.
I also have electronic copies of the manual and product brochure from the 1940’s

I’m selling it because I have no room for the tools I already have. I have mounted the machine on 4” square tubing both for the added height and so it can be easily moved with a narrow fork pallet jack. I have machine rigging equipment and will help load on your trailer, tilt bed or ramp recommended. I do not have a forklift, gantry crane, or dock. Currently stored in my shop, it is not set up to be run at this time.
Call or text (preferred) the number in the contact information, or respond by email. If this listing is up, I still have them for sale. All sales cash and are final. No warrantee is expressed or implied and all items are to be sold in “as is” condition. $3000 obo, hair teeth and eyeballs, everything listed in this posting.

Back