Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Kakashi View Post
    Thanks, Cal. The stop was actually on the table, but it was past the travel. I hadn't moved it, but I'll claim the oversight for not checking to see if where is was was where it should have been. I'm just glad I did no apparent damage, except to my pride. Thanks again for the info. I've got that saved and printed
    There should be a permanent stop on either side, in addition to the movable stop. Far too often, some genius removes one or both try to get a little more travel. If you look, you'll find a tapped hole for a stop on either side.

Cal

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have the chance to buy a VN12 here in England.
    Do these machines have the means of drilling or slot milling a hole at an angle, i.e. a movable quill?
    Brian

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hutchings View Post
    I have the chance to buy a VN12 here in England.
    Do these machines have the means of drilling or slot milling a hole at an angle, i.e. a movable quill?
    Brian
    The No. 12 does not have a quill. You can drill by raising the table, but that's not it's forte; it's a milling machine, not a mill-drill.

The rare "Universal High Speed Attachment" does have a quill and can be turned to drill or mill at any angle, via two orthogonal 360 degree adjustment, in addition to the 90 degree adjustment provided by the machine's cutter-head.

Slot milling at an angle with a No. 12 is very easy. Here's a link to No. 12 brochure which includes several pages of setups, showing how versatile the machine is:

Cal

4. Likes Kakashi liked this post