What's new
What's new

Van Norman 16S Information Request

backspace119

Aluminum
I was directed here by a Mr. Cal Haines from my thread elsewhere about getting a lathe, I've managed to work a mill into the deal, a Van Norman 16S, and it needs some TLC. I'm not sure where I can find handles or dials for it, that seems to be the majority of what's missing, but I won't know until the seller digs it out and I have it delivered to my garage. I unfortunately only have one image of it, which I'll attach at the bottom.

Any information on this mill is appreciated, I'd like to have her up and running quickly if possible.

8cd07bc79d044ba8a7b460acd39b8118.jpg

All of the dials and most of the handles for the table and knee are borrowed from the No. 16. Mine is intact so I can help you identify what's missing. Part numbers in the range 16-1000 to 16-1300 should be common between the No. 16L/M/S and the No. 16.

The fact that the left handle has been removed suggests that it was last used with the change gear set to drive a universal dividing head. Look at the Van Norman Attachments, Arbors, Accessories catalogs on Vintage Machinery (link) to see what they look like. Maybe the banjo and the gears are sitting around somewhere. Do you know if the seller ever used the machine?

Cal
---

All of the dials and most of the handles for the table and knee are borrowed from the No. 16. Mine is intact so I can help you identify what's missing. Part numbers in the range 16-1000 to 16-1300 should be common between the No. 16L/M/S and the No. 16.

The fact that the left handle has been removed suggests that it was last used with the change gear set to drive a universal dividing head. Look at the Van Norman Attachments, Arbors, Accessories catalogs on Vintage Machinery (link) to see what they look like. Maybe the banjo and the gears are sitting around somewhere. Do you know if the seller ever used the machine?

Cal
---

Seller never used it, he got it from a manufacturing place, I wouldn't be surprised if they hacked together something weird for this.

I put some more info in the other thread, but I'll move the discussion over here now since it's off topic over there.

Thanks for the info, I'll definitely need to figure out what all's missing in the coming days, I know a couple handles are broken, was hoping to just turn down some new ones on the lathe

Back