What's new
What's new

Van Norman 1rQ3-22

Knobby57

Plastic
Hello guys .This is my first post . I have something to post about .Ive been lurking for years and got so much great info here . Well I purchased a van Norman 1r3q . Has the c collet. Everything seams to be in working order so far . Need to clean out the coolant sump to try that . Seams to drop a bit of oil out from the top gear box when sitting . A real slight amount . The oil sight glasses are all a bit murky . Any info on this beast would be nice . Or any suggestions . 82C7E229-A12C-47D9-BCF3-A48F70E0D5EC.jpg2EEDA8D1-35C3-4FF0-A753-87FC7EDC69B6.jpg2EEDA8D1-35C3-4FF0-A753-87FC7EDC69B6.jpgB80C901F-D62B-4588-9B74-9DB799ABCCD7.jpg

I do not have a manual for it . I did find a factory electrical diagram on about 2’x2’ paper under the side panel .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's a copy of the military version of the 1R3 manual over at the Yahoo VanNorman group, but I just looked at it and it's a not-so-nice OCR scan. Let me go through my stack of manuals and if I have the 1R3 manual I will scan it. The result will almost certainly be too large to attach to a posting here (forum limits), so I will upload it over at Yahoo.

While it's nearly idle and most members have #12 or #16 mills, there's a useful amount of files and photos at the Yahoo VN group (group name "vannorman"), so it's probably worth joining to have access.

Thanks for the manual link . I be been waiting for a while to get added to the vn yahoo group

I be been waiting for a while to get added to the vn yahoo group
I just checked before I posted my previous reply, and checked again just now, and Yahoo says there are no pending approvals. Last group-join activity I see is from a couple weeks ago, and the request was either granted or it has timed out. (I'm a moderator over there, but not very active.)

If you are still not in the group, make another request and I'll get you in.

[Added in edit]I see your request from February, Knobby57, but can't approve it as it's timed out. Re-request and I'll deal with it.

Knobby57! welcome. The VN 28 is a nice sized machine. Why are your pics so small? I'm like stoneaxe: I too would love a quill on my VN!

Knobby57! welcome. The VN 28 is a nice sized machine. Why are your pics so small? I'm like stoneaxe: I too would love a quill on my VN!
Think these may be better ...
6362527afa67c3d0082b3fb50a7ad55b.jpg
aa24a9cb0979fc5623d9e4cd31539d64.jpg
996e9e17403ed9870c76c934e337ebc6.jpg
bc34cbb87aa0365a5cbb67c9c5b968f9.jpg

Maybe you all can help a bit . I got this mill when I purchased the contents of a old machine . I wanted a lathe to build bushings and the like . But I did acquire a few larger drill bits I don’t think I’ll ever use . And I’ve never used a reamer in my life now I have over a thousand . Would these be with selling or do you think they are worth holding onto
aa48ba80aecb9a07046d65082d4c2e87.jpg
4673e4c9c5f447088223badb912549c9.jpg
96632598f5ffb651739558d906c624ac.jpg
ce480418b0c45083bf55eab645750b62.jpg
c248c73187638dc83dccf416b4360477.jpg
749f4c95f07b7e1c9f3f4029c8cbe508.jpg
0a2b071d20e0af4d4de65c5726dbd390.jpg

Congratulations- that looks like a very nice machine in pretty original and pretty clean condition. I have the 1R3 (without quill). The total production of the "R" series Van Normans was quite small (I think the total of 1RQs and 1R3s, together, was less than 500, though I can't find my way back to the source of that data right now). If these things were more widely known or appreciated or had a name that started with "B" I think that there'd be uncontrollable bidding wars over them. For the self interest of those of us lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time when one becomes available, I'm glad that they remain obscure....

Congratulations- that looks like a very nice machine in pretty original and pretty clean condition. I have the 1R3 (without quill). The total production of the "R" series Van Normans was quite small (I think the total of 1RQs and 1R3s, together, was less than 500, though I can't find my way back to the source of that data right now). If these things were more widely known or appreciated or had a name that started with "B" I think that there'd be uncontrollable bidding wars over them. For the self interest of those of us lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time when one becomes available, I'm glad that they remain obscure....

I got one of the “b ports “ in the deal also . I sent it on it’s way . The vn is a much better built unit .

If you (or a buddy) have a tool&cutter grinder, the reamers can be resharpened to as-new condition, with a caveat. If you have to sharpen the flutes, the reamers will obviously be reduced in diameter. The ends can be resharpened without appreciably changing the reamer size; reamers are almost always made with some back taper but it's a very small amount multiplied by the very small amount you would remove from the cutting end.

However, sending the reamers out for commercial resharpening would probably not be a good use of money, unless you have a paying job for some specific sizes.

From my perspective, the "problem" with accumulating reamers is that, once you get past plus/minus dowel sizes and bolt clearance drill sizes, there is no sensible set of sizes to "collect" in the absence of specific jobs. And when you have a specific job, you need exactly the right sized reamer, not one 0.010" too big or too small. On the other hand, if I was gifted 100 miscellaneous reamers, I am too much of a tool hoarder to get rid of them. I would make some effort to store them in less self-destructive fashion, though. That might be as simple as using layers of one-side corrogated cardboard so the flutes don't bash themselves.

A lot of the reamers look newish once the dust is wiped off. If I keep them . Hard to let tools go .... that’s when you need them . I’ll wrap them in oil paper . The 1 1/2 inch and up drill bit I have no use for

Back