Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Van Norman 1rQ3-22

Hello guys .This is my first post . I have something to post about .Ive been lurking for years and got so much great info here . Well I purchased a van Norman 1r3q . Has the c collet. Everything seams to be in working order so far . Need to clean out the coolant sump to try that . Seams to drop a bit of oil out from the top gear box when sitting . A real slight amount . The oil sight glasses are all a bit murky . Any info on this beast would be nice . Or any suggestions . 82c7e229-a12c-47d9-bcf3-a48f70e0d5ec.jpg2eeda8d1-35c3-4ff0-a753-87fc7edc69b6.jpg2eeda8d1-35c3-4ff0-a753-87fc7edc69b6.jpgb80c901f-d62b-4588-9b74-9db799abccd7.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Do you have the manual for it?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I do not have a manual for it . I did find a factory electrical diagram on about 2’x2’ paper under the side panel .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There's a copy of the military version of the 1R3 manual over at the Yahoo VanNorman group, but I just looked at it and it's a not-so-nice OCR scan. Let me go through my stack of manuals and if I have the 1R3 manual I will scan it. The result will almost certainly be too large to attach to a posting here (forum limits), so I will upload it over at Yahoo.

While it's nearly idle and most members have #12 or #16 mills, there's a useful amount of files and photos at the Yahoo VN group (group name "vannorman"), so it's probably worth joining to have access.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

6. Likes Cal Haines liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the manual link . I be been waiting for a while to get added to the vn yahoo group

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Knobby57 View Post
    I be been waiting for a while to get added to the vn yahoo group
    I just checked before I posted my previous reply, and checked again just now, and Yahoo says there are no pending approvals. Last group-join activity I see is from a couple weeks ago, and the request was either granted or it has timed out. (I'm a moderator over there, but not very active.)

If you are still not in the group, make another request and I'll get you in.

[Added in edit]I see your request from February, Knobby57, but can't approve it as it's timed out. Re-request and I'll deal with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nice mill! I would love a quill.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Louisiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Knobby57! welcome. The VN 28 is a nice sized machine. Why are your pics so small? I'm like stoneaxe: I too would love a quill on my VN!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by brockwood View Post
    Knobby57! welcome. The VN 28 is a nice sized machine. Why are your pics so small? I'm like stoneaxe: I too would love a quill on my VN!
    Think these may be better ...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Maybe you all can help a bit . I got this mill when I purchased the contents of a old machine . I wanted a lathe to build bushings and the like . But I did acquire a few larger drill bits I don’t think I’ll ever use . And I’ve never used a reamer in my life now I have over a thousand . Would these be with selling or do you think they are worth holding onto

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Congratulations- that looks like a very nice machine in pretty original and pretty clean condition. I have the 1R3 (without quill). The total production of the "R" series Van Normans was quite small (I think the total of 1RQs and 1R3s, together, was less than 500, though I can't find my way back to the source of that data right now). If these things were more widely known or appreciated or had a name that started with "B" I think that there'd be uncontrollable bidding wars over them. For the self interest of those of us lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time when one becomes available, I'm glad that they remain obscure....

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kd1yt View Post
    Congratulations- that looks like a very nice machine in pretty original and pretty clean condition. I have the 1R3 (without quill). The total production of the "R" series Van Normans was quite small (I think the total of 1RQs and 1R3s, together, was less than 500, though I can't find my way back to the source of that data right now). If these things were more widely known or appreciated or had a name that started with "B" I think that there'd be uncontrollable bidding wars over them. For the self interest of those of us lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time when one becomes available, I'm glad that they remain obscure....
    I got one of the “b ports “ in the deal also . I sent it on it’s way . The vn is a much better built unit .

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sift the reamers for size and condition- keep the best - never know when you will need one. I don't know if they can be economically sharpened

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I like the table position gauges & scales! Pre DRO! Somebody did some very precise work with this machine at one time?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you (or a buddy) have a tool&cutter grinder, the reamers can be resharpened to as-new condition, with a caveat. If you have to sharpen the flutes, the reamers will obviously be reduced in diameter. The ends can be resharpened without appreciably changing the reamer size; reamers are almost always made with some back taper but it's a very small amount multiplied by the very small amount you would remove from the cutting end.

However, sending the reamers out for commercial resharpening would probably not be a good use of money, unless you have a paying job for some specific sizes.

From my perspective, the "problem" with accumulating reamers is that, once you get past plus/minus dowel sizes and bolt clearance drill sizes, there is no sensible set of sizes to "collect" in the absence of specific jobs. And when you have a specific job, you need exactly the right sized reamer, not one 0.010" too big or too small. On the other hand, if I was gifted 100 miscellaneous reamers, I am too much of a tool hoarder to get rid of them. I would make some effort to store them in less self-destructive fashion, though. That might be as simple as using layers of one-side corrogated cardboard so the flutes don't bash themselves.

18. Likes Cal Haines liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A lot of the reamers look newish once the dust is wiped off. If I keep them . Hard to let tools go .... that’s when you need them . I’ll wrap them in oil paper . The 1 1/2 inch and up drill bit I have no use for