What's new
What's new

Van Norman # 2 Standard horizontal mill Looking for manuals...

Theatre Stu

Plastic
Hello, New member here. Just inherited a pair of Van Norman Horizontal mills, the #2 Standard and a #3.

Uncle Ben wasn't too keen on things like maintenance, it interfered with doing fun stuff, so I am giving them what might be their first oil changes since the Navy auctioned them off. Trying to figure out how much to put back. Also looking for any other information that might be out there. The #2 has the right angle head & the universal table.

I found a #3 manual online, but the # 2 is eluding me.

I also got a Smith & Mills 16" Shaper, but that's going to stay in mothballs until I find more space.

Theatre Stu

Thanks, Sadly they have the #2 Heavy and the #2 Light but not the #2 standard. ( why did they need to make so many darn variants? ) and there are significant differences between the two models, not sure if I can take the average, or just fake it until it seems happy. there's a 2 gallon difference in one of the gearboxes and a gallon difference in the other gearbox.

Stuart

I would just fake it until it seems happy. If there's a sight glass, you want to see oil in it when running. And if you can see oil in it when not running, about halfway up. Approximate is OK. With these gearboxes, it's a bath with a very wide range of acceptable oil levels.

Back