Van norman hi speed sub head - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 140mower View Post
    I would have thought the column on 2hl would be wider than that of the 1A. Just so I understand correctly,the 2hl is 9" at the widest part of the dovetail?
    To be truthful, I likely won't be getting too serious about this project this winter as I have a 13" South bend O series to put online ahead of the mill, (of course I'm easily distracted, so who knows what order I will really do things in).

Thanks again, Don
    1H 2hl are both 9 inch on the column.. 2h is 10 1/2 on the column.. I own both...The sub head worked fine on my 2hl but the distance under the spindle was rather limited and when you put something like a vise or a rotary table on the machine table you have even less room...I used this sub head because I did not at the time have a vertical head with a drive gear...

Kearney and Trecker offered a similar sub head.. It was their light high speed head either with or without moveable quill..They were very suitable as they could both move away from the machine column...They came in 7 Brown and Sharpe spindle only..I wouldn't mind having a light hi speed head with moveable quill (preferably with drive gear proper) for either my 2hl or 2h to add to my collection.. Ramsay 1

2. Likes 140mower, brockwood liked this post
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ramsay1 View Post
    1H 2hl are both 9 inch on the column.. 2h is 10 1/2 on the column.. I own both...The sub head worked fine on my 2hl but the distance under the spindle was rather limited and when you put something like a vise or a rotary table on the machine table you have even less room...I used this sub head because I did not at the time have a vertical head with a drive gear...

Kearney and Trecker offered a similar sub head.. It was their light high speed head either with or without moveable quill..They were very suitable as they could both move away from the machine column...They came in 7 Brown and Sharpe spindle only..I wouldn't mind having a light hi speed head with moveable quill (preferably with drive gear proper) for either my 2hl or 2h to add to my collection.. Ramsay 1
    Yes, I can see how the air space under the spindle will be quickly eaten up, and, as my skills and needs increase I may need to become a little more innovative in my thinking and planning, but it'll always be better than the little unspeakable one that I have now. However, right now I am having far too much fun making tools for my 10" south bend and 12" shaper to actually accomplish anything much productive.
    It would be nice to think that one day I might find the correct part, but, this far west and north of the border in a small Interior town, my odds are slim, not to mention the pockets aren't near as deep as I'd like to start shipping heavy things too far, especially across borders.
    , However, if the right head could be found it's hard to say how much effort I would put into pairing them up, after all, leaving a complete working kit of tools to the next generation is kinda the goal of collecting all this old cast iron. My grand kids are so going to love me..... LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes, I can see how the air space under the spindle will be quickly eaten up, and, as my skills and needs increase I may need to become a little more innovative in my thinking and planning, but it'll always be better than the little unspeakable one that I have now. However, right now I am having far too much fun making tools for my 10" south bend and 12" shaper to actually accomplish anything much productive.
    It would be nice to think that one day I might find the correct part, but, this far west and north of the border in a small Interior town, my odds are slim, not to mention the pockets aren't near as deep as I'd like to start shipping heavy things too far, especially across borders.
    , However, if the right head could be found it's hard to say how much effort I would put into pairing them up, after all, leaving a complete working kit of tools to the next generation is kinda the goal of collecting all this old cast iron. My grand kids are so going to love me..... LOL
    Enjoy while you can....Time waits for no man.. I collected since about 1974 and have enjoyed it very much though now my constant back and leg pain has somewhat slowed me down.. Do every bit of your hobby that you can while you are still able.. The voice of experience.. Ramsay 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So, after a winter that wore me into the ground at work, and with responsibilities (that I am glad to have and glad to meet) helping family, I am finally coming up for air and have sent some photos and measurements to Brockwood.

Don, have you had a chance to take some photos and measurements of the data/model plate on your VN sub-head?

It's tentatively looking like I have a sub-head with the back assembly to mount to a 22, but my mill (1R3) seems to, from the factory drawing that Brockwood posted above, seems to need the back assembly that was used on the "16" and the "1R3" It's also tentatively looking, though I can't tell yet, as if the back assembly of the sub-head that Brockwood has may be different from the pattern to match up to my machine. But I haven't come anywhere near giving up hope that some swappage of parts and adapters among the three of us might end up being to each of our benefit

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That would be nice if it works, but I have my doubts, as the 1A is a pretty small mill....... The column on mine is 10" to the widest part of the dovetail. Either way, if possible I'd appreciate it if you could take a picture of the adapter Ramsay1 made to see if the picture in my mind matches what's known to work.
    Thanks, Don
    Here is a photo of the adapter plate

adapter-plate-mike-ramsay1-made-vn-head-k-t.jpg

The four holes in the circular pattern are tapped, and receive the bolts that hold the VN head in place.

The dark area is raised compared to the rest of the plate, it matches and mates with the relieved area in the back of the VN head's mount flange

The holes out near the edges hold wedge/clamp pieces that clamp onto the column dovetail.

A photo from an old thread in which Ramsay 1 showed and apoke about it when it was installed on his K&T is at:
    https://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...l-dsc00003.jpg
    The overall prior discussion that that photo had been part of was at:
    Van Norman Duplex No 2 mill

7. Likes ramsay1 liked this post
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hopefully I can get this to work.......
    img_5044.jpg

img_5043.jpg
    img_5046.jpg

Getting pretty late here and been a long day... can try for some better tomorrow if you'd like if I get in in time. Getting pretty busy around here, seems to the new norm.. LOL

Sorry about the upside down .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_5041.jpg  

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

kd1yt, tried sending you a pm, but your inbox is full. I think Brockwood and I both have the same head.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks - I just saw the warning email from PM that you had tried to send me a message but that my mailbox was full. I cleared out some older messages but it does look like you and Brockwood have the same head, and, based on some measurements that Brockwood sent me earlier today, it seems that the three-hole pattern and dowel location on the heads that you and he have are not going to be able to line up with the pattern on the face of my VN. So since I will have to make an adapter anyways, I might as well just hang onto the VN sub-head that I already have.

Good luck with your efforts to adapt your head to your other mill, and thank you again for helping evaluate whether a swap could've been mutually beneficial

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes, it's too bad it didn't work out as we had hoped. I guess what they say is true, there is no easy button in life. LOL. On the other hand, the image I had in my mind is pretty much bang on with the adapter that Ramsay1 made for his mill, so I'm feeling a little better about my plan to tackle the problem. Now if I could solve the issue of constantly biting off more than I can chew work-wise......

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Louisiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

140mower & I do have the same part according to pics. And NO: It won't fit any of the 1R versions. Too bad because kd1yt actually has what will work directly on my 24 (& seems to be correct for all 24 - 38 mills). kd1yt has the popularly coveted version!!!!!

In other news I received a Van Norman Slotter Attachment today with same 22 mount style as 140mower & I have on our High Speed Subheads. Only it has an added bonus adaptor That solves my fitment issues! Pokes my attachments out a couple inches beyond nominal: But puts them to work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 213.jpg   215.jpg  

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Louisiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Furthest thing from my intentions & goals: but, I went out on a limb to get a VN Slotter for a friend & ended up buying it when my friend found himself unable to commit. Now this slotter has the same mount points as my high speed (great, I have 2 attachments that won't fit my 24). But, then it dawned on the seller that he had this other piece that fits the attachment he is selling. Eureka, the adaptor I needed all along & a driver that matches.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_20190517_093509353.jpg   img_20190517_093644277.jpg  

14. Likes ramsay1, sfriedberg, 140mower, Cal Haines liked this post
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by brockwood View Post
    Furthest thing from my intentions & goals: but, I went out on a limb to get a VN Slotter for a friend & ended up buying it when my friend found himself unable to commit. Now this slotter has the same mount points as my high speed (great, I have 2 attachments that won't fit my 24). But, then it dawned on the seller that he had this other piece that fits the attachment he is selling. Eureka, the adaptor I needed all along & a driver that matches.
    Excellent..... Some things just seem to be meant to happen. Here, going out to help a buddy has paid you back ten-fold, ain't Karma great when it's on your side? ..LOL.

16. Likes brockwood liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Congratulations! Great that the seller realized it, or that adapter might have wound up scrap. Between finding your high speed head and the slotter, you seem to have unusually good luck finding unusual and hard to find VN attachments. There has been a VN slotter on ebay that has the same mount pattern as my sub-head (so that once I finish the inter-adapter for my head, it would fit that slotter), but the price is more than I paid for my entire VN and just plain way out of my range.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Louisiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

kd1yt, that slotter on ebay was once sold - until the seller realized shipping costs. So up on ebay it went at a much higher price. As for my luck, I have some great friends that are into Van Normans. We help as we can. I like documenting this stuff & sharing too. Yeah, attachments & tools tend to add up to much more than the mills themselves.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by brockwood View Post
    kd1yt, that slotter on ebay was once sold - until the seller realized shipping costs. So up on ebay it went at a much higher price. As for my luck, I have some great friends that are into Van Normans. We help as we can. I like documenting this stuff & sharing too. Yeah, attachments & tools tend to add up to much more than the mills themselves.
    I have all but given up on ebay.. Unless it is a part for the kitchen oven or something small, you just about have to mortgage your home to pay for it.. I know Kearney and Trecker items are completely out of sight and out of my reach when it comes to price on ebay.. I remember a time when Ebay was a place where folks got rid of things they didn't need or want and the buyer got a deal.. Now the buyer is very subject to get a raw deal.. Ramsay 1

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Louisiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

EBay has always had the "It fits a Hemi so it's worth allot" crowd. I know this because I do chase parts for my 70 Charger (440). But, yeah, since the 2008 crunch people are making their living off EBay & UTube more than ever. So it's harder to get what is needed at a fair price. It does take diligence, persistence & patience though.

Some have commented on how fortunate I've been finding what I have. I am grateful & thankful. I have also shared leads with all that are looking. So, if you're looking, let me know what you're looking for & I'll pay attention to that item as well.

In a perfect world Trevor & I would be set swapping parts, my other friend would have this slotter + another hi-speed head that is perfect for me would be what I bought. As is another friend will see what he can do with those parts. I'll stay with what I have & help document it all so Trevor & others can plan for their perfect solutions.

I didn't want a slotter - I wanted a 24" GEMCO Shaper that I've had my eye on. But I also find it still isn't time to break ground for my shop & I have no room in my garage for a shaper or a Monarch lathe. All I can say is I'm blessed & thankful to have gotten this far!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was fortunate to be able to accumulate the things that I did in my lifetime.. Got lots of good deals on ebay such as a cherrying attachment for my 2d K&T for 35 dollars that looked like it just came out of the box and the rotab drive bracket for same for 5 dollars plus shipping that had never been installed on a machine..

I am 66 now and am not as active as I was for years prior because of lower back pain and the difficulty I have standing for periods of time...I was told many years ago to do what I wanted when I could and that was good advice...Time waits for no man.. Cheers; Ramsay 1

22. Likes brockwood, Paolo_MD liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Louisiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My subhead restored beautifully with new seals & the quill moves in & out smoothly. I had to make an ejector rod & an adaptor for the collet retainer. Now all that is left is to fit an NMTB50 x 1.25 tool holder inside the adaptor & have the nose of the tool holder not bottom the spline drive out in the subhead. I fitted 3 tool holders to my mill & measured the outside shoulder + the nose distance from the mill's spindle. Now I know which tool holder will be best to modify!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190716-06a.jpg   img_20190716_132911735.jpg   requirements-01.jpg  

24. Likes sfriedberg, ramsay1 liked this post