What's new
What's new

Van Norman Knee Surgery Today...

michael.kitko

Cast Iron
Well, I don't think my shift tumbler was disengaging properly and I went to roll the front selector. I experienced a load of resistance and stopped and took the nuetral lever a bit further than the stop. It then shifted fine. I then couldn't get it to go back in gear without messing about work the feed shaft. I then turned the thing back on and heard this weird chatting noise. I don't know if it was the switch, contractors, or feed, but I decided to open it up on both sides to have a look. I found a broken gear that applies the rapid speed. Other than that it looks fine. One of the questions I have is, is it normal for the low/high speed ratchet clutch to engage like that? You can see in the picture that it looks like the flats are out of alignment. When I rotate the feed shaft, they line up after a second or two. My other question, is this thing designed to have feed speeds changed while it's running? It seems like it should be. Lastly, do you think I broke it by having it not fully out of the low setting? It does say that it "must" be in nuetral while shifting the tumbler. Thanks in advance.
015e4a6faab053069bda79cdcce647af.jpg
f7ec0ec465ab0c8106dfa40fa1968b9d.jpg
aa02f0fc19371b56fe1b5fc86c6b33b5.jpg

Sent from my S61 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Well, I don't think my shift tumbler was disengaging properly and I went to roll the front selector. I experienced a load of resistance and stopped and took the nuetral lever a bit further than the stop. It then shifted fine. In then couldn't get it to go back in gear without messing about work the feed shaft. I then turned the thing back on and heard this weird chatting noise. I don't know if it was the switch, contractors, or feed, but I decided to open it up on both sides to have a look. I found a broken gear that applies the rapid speed. Other than that it looks fine. One of the questions I have is, is it normal for the low/high speed ratchet clutch to engage like that? You can see in the picture that it looks like the flats are out of alignment. When I rotate the feed shaft, they line up after a second or two. My other question, is this thing designed to have feed speeds changed while it's running? It seems like it should be. Lastly, do you think I broke it by having it not fully out of the low setting? It does say that it "must" be in nuetral while shifting the tumbler. Thanks in advance.

As per the manual I have (VN 22L), "To obtain the fee desired: First, lever "X-3" MUST be set in neutral position; next, the rotary feed seelctor knobs "X-1" and "X-2" are pulled out simultaneously and rotated.. Then make sure the knob plungers are definitely seated in locking holes by pushing knobs firmly inward. Finally, reset lever "X-3" to H or L as required."

Lever X-3 is the left hand side lever with a High, Low and Neutral position. There should be a plate next to it also with directions.

And that broken tooth on the pinion gear (on the shaft for the Rapid Feed Lever) seems to be oriented such that it never will meet the brass/bronze fork teeth? Is that the only broken tooth? The handle on the other side can be removed, that shaft rotated and put back in an ideal position where the missing tooth never engages (though the current position looks ok).

Well, looking at it when I was in there, the ratchet clutch fork is attached to a shaft that has another fork that engages to the detents in the shift barrel when the shift lever is in high or low, which should prevent rotation. When it is in neutral, the fork has a groove in it that allows the shift barrel to be rotated freely.

I took the chance while I was in there the roll that broken gear around on the rapid shaft. I don't think I would have noticed it in the two runs I've had on this machine, because, the lever I have been using is the one on the right, which directly engages the clutch, and just lifts the other. I never used the other to engage rapids, which probably would have felt different if I had.

Back