What's new
What's new

Van Norman No. 22 Manual

Cal Haines

Diamond
Does anyone have the manual for a Van Norman No. 22? There are several copies of the manual for the 22L/22M out there, but I'm looking for the manual for the plain No. 22, which I believe existed before the No. 22L/22M, just like the No. 16 is a prior model to the No. 16L/16M.

Thanks!

Cal

Cal,
I'm not so sure that they produced a 22 before the 22L, unless my older one (#5097 according to this website, it was made during the first year of production) has been transformed from 22 to 22L at the factory, it looks like they've at least made them in parallel.

You can see a few pictures here (Sorry, life and work interfered with any progress in further cleaning up, inspecting and documenting the two machines).

At least at first sight, the 22L/M booklet matches much more the old one, whereas there are several key differences in the castings, knee dovetails, ram, etc. with the new one (#7434 - second to last year of production).

What's the serial number of yours and what are the differences between your and the booklet?

Paolo

Paolo,

I don't have a No. 22. I've been looking at some drawings for a first generation No. 12 and I see a number of 22- part numbers in the table assembly. If I look at the 22L/22M manual, I see that all the corresponding table parts have a "2L-" prefix, rather than a "22-" prefix. This indicates to me that the No. 22 table was redesigned, probably to incorporate a universal saddle, as was done when the No. 12 was redesigned to create the No. 16. Plus I have a vague memory of seeing information about a pre-WWII, plain No. 22 somewhere, probably here.

Van Norman started making duplex milling machines in the 1890s and there were definitely No. 22 sized machines prior to 1940. The serial number in the table on the website only go back as far as the reference book that it was copied from. There were predecessor machines, such as the No. 11, that are not listed in the table.

Cal

The model "22" was produced from at least 1935 thru 1939. The model 22L/22M variants were produced from 1940 thru at least 1953. I say that because there have been some late serials turn up that don't show up in the production listing indicating that VN may have produced some models (custom order?) much later than thought. Early serial numbers were NOT sequential on some models, the "22" being one of those.

Paolo,

I don't have a No. 22. I've been looking at some drawings for a first generation No. 12 and I see a number of 22- part numbers in the table assembly. If I look at the 22L/22M manual, I see that all the corresponding table parts have a "2L-" prefix, rather than a "22-" prefix. This indicates to me that the No. 22 table was redesigned, probably to incorporate a universal saddle, as was done when the No. 12 was redesigned to create the No. 16. Plus I have a vague memory of seeing information about a pre-WWII, plain No. 22 somewhere, probably here.

Van Norman started making duplex milling machines in the 1890s and there were definitely No. 22 sized machines prior to 1940. The serial number in the table on the website only go back as far as the reference book that it was copied from. There were predecessor machines, such as the No. 11, that are not listed in the table.

Cal

I started writing my post before you but I got a posting error and had to rewrite it. You're correct there was a somewhat recent discussion about a vintage model 22. It was either here or on the VN group. I don't have a #2 horizontal mill parts book but I suspect the knee/saddle/table parts are the same as the 22L/M mills. I purchased an overarm brace for my 22L that the a seller that indicated came from a #2 horizontal but it fits the 22L duplex perfectly. Mine is an early one roughly 1941 or 1942 I can't recall.

If you have a serial number from the "22" post it or shoot it to me in a PM.

The plain Van Norman No. 22 (pre-22L/22M)

Andy Fitzsimmons reminded me that an early Van Norman attachments catalog had information about a plain No. 22. Here's the illustration:
Van Norman No. 22_1.jpg

Note that there are several differences between the above machine and the No. 22L. The controls on the side of the knee are different. The feed motor is mounted on the back of the column, a la the No. 12, and uses a similar drive shaft with universal joints. The knee is also missing the round feed control dial that the 22L has, since the feeds are controlled by shifters on the feed gearbox on the back.

This post has pictures of one, serial number 13744 (note that this is the old style serial number, before they started using serial numbers like 22-5000): If you look at the photos you can see the rear-mounted feed gearbox.

Here's another one that I found using Google image search:
Van Norman No. 22.jpg
It's easier to see the rear-mounted feed drive.

Cal

Yep! That's quite different from the 22L.
Probably, the only thing that hasn't changed much between the 22 and the early 22L is the ram and head assembly. Everything else, at least externally, is quite different.

Paolo

Hello, I am new to PM forum.
I recently aquired a Van Norman 22 (not a 22L or other).
Did anyone ever come up with a manual for these early machines?
or details on when they were produced?
thanks in advance

I have a VN 22LU and it has the rear side controls
and the power feed motor is inside the body. I wish
it was not on the inside, because it is covered with
goo, and I am compelled to clean it.
One thing I don't like with these mills, is the Y axis
screw is not in the center of the saddle like a Bridgeport.
It offset to the right, and consequently, the saddle gib
(and ways) wears into a banana shape, from the nut wanting
to make the saddle "crab" when it slides on the knee.
I re-ground my Y axis gib on the surface grinder to get the
wear out and make it flat, then added a .020" shim to bring
the adjustment screw back into the sweet spot of it's range.
The slideway was not worn nearly as much as the gib, so I
left it alone. Not a perfect restoration, but I improved
things by like 90%. Oh, no I have not found an online manual.

--Doozer

Back