What's new
What's new

Van Norman No 6

alan speyrer

Stainless
Hey guys, i bought a Van Norman No 6 mill about a week ago from a guy in florida and i get delievered today ! I got a vise, a few collets, and the overarm arbor.
Who has a manual for the No 6 ?
I need to know how to operate this thing and what grease/oil to use.
I also need a 6 foot extension cord to plug it into my 3Hp Phase converter.

6 is basically just a 12 without powerfeed on the table. Most anything applicable to the 12 also goes for the 6. Hit the manual section of the forum and everything you can get is there.

how do i lock the spindle so i can loosen and remove the collet? i downloaded the No12 manual, but did not see instructions on how to remove spindle collets. and i also need to know how to post pics of this mill to this site?

Drop it to lowest speed and smack the wrench with the palm of your hand. There's enough drag to work with it that way. The spindle collets are just like any other mill, but the drawbar is tubular and the collets have an external thread. Loosen the drawbar a turn or two and smack the top with a soft hammer. Unscrew from there.

Alan,

Sorry I missed your initial posts.

I have some No. 6 documentation. Send me an e-mail and I'll see what I can do.

The No. 6 looks a bit like a No. 12 and does in fact use the same cutter-head as the older No. 12s, but the resemblance ends there. It has a smaller table, different base, column, ram, etc. Some things that look the same aren't, such as the horizontal arbor support, which is a bit smaller than the No. 12's.

There should be a hole in the OD of the spindle for a hook spanner that can be used when loosening the draw-tube.

Cal

Hey guys I'm looking for collets for a Van Norman No.6 any help will be appreciated. I only have a 3/4" that came in the spindle which the previous owner damaged by welding a nut to the top of it and used a threaded rod as a draw bar.
i purchased a Hardinge 5v collet but its too large.
Does anyone have collets for sale?
IMG_0748.jpgIMG_0750.jpgIMG_0751.jpg

Hey guys I'm looking for collets for a Van Norman No.6 any help will be appreciated. I only have a 3/4" that came in the spindle which the previous owner damaged by welding a nut to the top of it and used a threaded rod as a draw bar.
i purchased a Hardinge 5v collet but its too large.
Does anyone have collets for sale?
View attachment 259083View attachment 259084View attachment 259085
The collet that you purchased is not a Hardinge 5V. See my reply to your other post: Van Norman collets

Cal

Back